Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Master Cleanse" and other juice fasts page

ruby is offline Senior Member

"Master Cleanse" and other juice fasts

Shop Now
    It seems like people all around me are doing this "cleanse" where you just drink lemonade with maple syrup and cayenne pepper for a week or more. They all swear by it and claim to have lost tons of weight. Also people recommend green juice fasting (when I protest that "Master Cleanse" sounds like a bunch of insulin spikes, this is usually the next recommendation). I can't really find any evidence of what it does, good or bad but I know I feel a sort of intuitive "NO" when this is recommended to me. Does anyone know what the story is with these "cleanses" and the rationale behind them? I also heard of one where you drink olive oil and apple juice and supposedly pass "liver stones", what surely sounds like saponified balls of olive oil to me. I have even heard of health practitioners recommending this
    Michelle
    totally primal since 5/16/2010, 41 years old my journal
    240+/128/121 (I'm 5'3")

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    It's all total crap, ruby.
    Your body is self-cleaning, if you avoid eating junk, and get some exercise.

Some of the sickest-looking people I have ever seen are devotees of these cleanses.
    Did I mention it was all total crap?
    ;-)

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Actually it isn't all crap. I had severe kidney damage which reversed after juice fasting. I know of several other people that have cured all kinds of serious diseases through fasting. There are testimonials all over the internet from people being cured of various life threatening diseases and ailments through fasting. Sometimes our bodies get so sick that they lose the ability to self repair, even with a proper diet (like what happened with me). Fasting seems to work because it gives the whole digestive system a rest and somehow enables the body to kick starts its self healing. I can't give you research papers or other evidence, but it does work.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

ruby is offline Senior Member
    What kind of fasting? The lemon juice and maple syrup one or green juice fasting?
    Michelle
    totally primal since 5/16/2010, 41 years old my journal
    240+/128/121 (I'm 5'3")

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry I wasn't clear, SAQ.
    I did not mean to say fasting was total crap, because it's not.
    Rather, I feel the concept of fasting, while consuming myriad glasses of sugary water, is crap.
    My apologies.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuno1chi View Post
    I'm sorry I wasn't clear, SAQ.
    I did not mean to say fasting was total crap, because it's not.
    Rather, I feel the concept of fasting, while consuming myriad glasses of sugary water, is crap.
    My apologies.

That's ok

When I fast I consume fresh vegetable juices. I definitely agree that the maple syrup is unnecessary.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, juice fasts are a bit different than the master cleanse which is lemons squeezed into water with maple syrup and cayenne. For 20 days.

It's one of those things that can "sound" like it makes sense.. maybe? And indeed it does work because you're eating almost nothing, and consuming maybe 500-600 calories a day for 20 days. You're also supposed to do sea salt in water cleanses in the a.m. each morning to flush out the system.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

rucker_z is offline Member
    I did a 3-week juice fast to rid myself of intestinal parasites I caught while traveling through South America. Worked like a charm.

Fasting is not something I would do to lose weight or to "detoxify" (whatever that means), but for very specific health conditions it has its place.

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    I'm not so sure about these things. I'm assuming that the point is to "cleanse" the colon. I used to work in endoscopy, and the patients had to cleanse their colons the night before they got scoped. They used Fleets Phosphosoda and every colon I saw was as clean as a whistle, (save for the occasional piece corn). So as for that, "you have 5-20 lbs of impacted fecal matter stuck like spackle to the inside of your colon"... I'm not buying it. That stuff (Fleets) cleans everything out, and non of these patients are pooping out 20 lbs of anything. And lets face it, lemon juice and maple syrup for weight loss? Sure, you'll lose wight, because you're not taking in much in the way of nutrients. IMHO it's not healthy.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    I was just talking about this with a friend of mine. If someone needs to cleanse themselves via lemonade with maple syrup (aka sugar water) or cleanse their colons, it's just some way of treating a symptom of poor diet OR they have a medical condition that needs to be addressed. We've evolved to NOT need things like juice cleansing (or colon cleansings for that matter).

As for post-cleanse weight loss, it's just severe calorie restriction. Check back in with those who have cleansed a month or two later and see if they've kept off the weight. Unless they have also changed their diet, I'd bet none of them keep it off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast