Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Master Cleanse" and other juice fasts page 2

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I've done various cleanses over the years and, in fact, just finished an abbreviated Isagenix cleanse. I embarked upon this most recent cleanse because of recurring rashes (now gone) and as part of my full-on battle with Candida.

Anyway, Master Cleanse: I found out about it from my yoga teacher. I actually felt GREAT throughout -- not at all weak and not hungry whatsoever after day 3 -- but had to halt it at day 14 because I would start gagging just walking by the kitchen and smelling the concoction and seeing lemons. Interesting to note that I did not lose a single pound, despite not eating a thing, not even a piece of gum, for 14 days.

Other cleanses I've done have been far more effective then the Master Cleanse, IMO. Also, cleanses are not only done for the gut. There's a myriad of other reasons -- gallbladder flush, skin rashes, Candida overgrowth, etc., etc. Also, old stuck emotions bubble up as well.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    I did the Master's Cleanse for 20 days and then switched to vegetable juices for the remaining 10 for a total of 30 days because my stomach basically stopped digesting food or at least, stopped doing it without massive amounts of pain for me, no matter what I ate. I know now that my digestion has been effed up by my shit diet these last ten years, but at the time...I was desperate. I used to believe in cleansing a lot more than I do now, however, giving my digestion a rest really seemed to work...for a while, until I went back to eating Ramen cause I was broke. It happened again, and I caught it before it got to the point it was before and am now trying to fix it with Primal eating.

During the day, I felt great while on the cleanse...even just drinking half of what was recommended (cause yeah...the gag factor starts to go up quickly with both the drink and the salt water flush) allowed me to maintain my daily activities. However, night time was AWFUL. I never was really all that convinced that I was doing the right thing because I never could find any real evidence to back up the health claims of the cleanse...so there were times when I thought I was going absolutely nuts and wondering if I was doing more damage to my body. I did it cause I needed to, but I'd never recommend it to anyone else.

sebzzz is offline Member
    Fasting to heal makes sense. Animals fast when they don't feel well. This is why you'll see dogs not eating for a couple of days when going through a period of stress.

Juice fasting makes no sense. It defies the idea of fasting and is nothing nut almost pure sugar in your system. To me it's an other concept started by the vegan/raw crowd that has no scientific underpinning under it. Those who do it and say they experience great result probably do because they're almost fasting and experience the benefits from the fast.
    Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    "Juice Fasting" encompasses many things. People call the Masters Cleanse a juice fast, as well as using fruit juices and vegetable juices. Most of the most healing juice fasts I've encountered utilize 99% vegetable juice with perhaps half an apple or a few grapes thrown in in order to make the juice palatable. While I've never seen any studies on the matter, anecdotal evidence does point to there being healing benefit from shutting digestion down for long periods of time, enabling the body to utilize it's energy in healing, rather than in digesting.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sebzzz View Post
    Fasting to heal makes sense. Animals fast when they don't feel well. This is why you'll see dogs not eating for a couple of days when going through a period of stress.

Juice fasting makes no sense. It defies the idea of fasting and is nothing nut almost pure sugar in your system. To me it's an other concept started by the vegan/raw crowd that has no scientific underpinning under it. Those who do it and say they experience great result probably do because they're almost fasting and experience the benefits from the fast.
    Ummm, people that juice fast already know that. But it's dangerous to water fast for lengthy periods of time if you already have a disorder as the body releases large amounts of toxins when fasting. Taking in juice just means your body detoxes more slowly. That's why I juice fast for my kidneys, rather than water fasting. And it has nothing to do with veganism, what a silly idea.

Alibamford is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
    Ummm, people that juice fast already know that. But it's dangerous to water fast for lengthy periods of time if you already have a disorder as the body releases large amounts of toxins when fasting. Taking in juice just means your body detoxes more slowly. That's why I juice fast for my kidneys, rather than water fasting. And it has nothing to do with veganism, what a silly idea.

I agree. With juice fasting the body is in a detox and healing mode without the distraction of energy-sapping digestive processes. It can draw on a wide variety of nutrients very fast giving the body the support it needs. Personally, I prefer to also supplement with some green powders and other fibre to keep the bowels open and help the body eliminate toxins, parasites and heavy metals etc. during the cleanse. Yes there are some sugars, but minimal if you use as you should during a juice fast, mainly vegetables, but unlike the pre-packed juice you buy in the stores, it's fresh juice full of nutrition and live enzymes.

This, as you say, is not about going 'vegan' or vegetarian, it's about doing periodic housekeeping.

Just check out Joe Cross and his 60 day juicing regime. Whilst he now eats more raw veg than he used to, he is not averse to an occasional juicy steak!

I have moved on from the idea of extremes, to being more balanced between both paleolithic and veggie. They both have their merits. I don't think it is good to go to the extreme in either direction. Its not a competition! As Dr. Campbell-McBride points out, many ancient cultures would ferment plants and seeds to make more easily digestible and highly nutritious beverages and foods.

Protein and fats are building blocks, plants are healing and detoxifying. We need the aspects of both.

GiGiEats is offline Banned
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such a fad. SUCH A FAD. Drives in ABSOLUTELY BONKERS! Living in Los Angeles, I hear all my friends say "oh I am going on a detox or a fast for the next few days" - WHY DON'T YOU JUST EAT HEALTHY... That's a DETOX people!!!!!!

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sebzzz View Post
    Juice fasting makes no sense. It defies the idea of fasting and is nothing nut almost pure sugar in your system.
    My boss went on a juice fast. He was running around in a manic state screaming "you need to try this, I feel great!".

Yeah man, cause you are chugging pure sugar on an empty stomach and are high as a kite.

DennyB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiGiEats View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Such a fad. SUCH A FAD. Drives in ABSOLUTELY BONKERS! Living in Los Angeles, I hear all my friends say "oh I am going on a detox or a fast for the next few days" - WHY DON'T YOU JUST EAT HEALTHY... That's a DETOX people!!!!!!
    Absolutely drives me nuts too, the people who I knew who "cleasened" were all obese. They basically ate paleo for a few days then went back to their obesity diet.... Yet busted on my skinny ass for sticking to my "crazy caveman diet". I attributed that to them being so incredibly brainwashed by CW and an unwillingness to research any other weight loss techniques than what was prescribed in the 80's and 90's. I sooooo cant wait to give then a big ole told you so when mainstream media starts reporting that fat don't make you fat!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Zb Acupuncture Studio is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Personally I wouldn't do any of fasting diets, drinks, mixtures and so on. I think our bodies pretty much regulate themselves. We can help it along with proper nutrition and herbs, but to put your body through the shock of food deprivation while drinking vinegar or lemon juice or olive oil or other combinations, puts undue stress on the us and may do more harm than good. I never get positive responses from people that do these cleanses. We eat raw habanero pepper with food. It kills anything and everything that we can harbor inside us from parasites to candida.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast