Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite primal restaurant food...and dressing... page

Duke363 is offline Junior Member

Your favorite primal restaurant food...and dressing...

Primal Fuel
    I'm new to all this and have been eating about 80-90% primal, but I tend to have to do a lot of lunches out for work. Does anyone have a favorite menu item at a chain restaurant that's also Primal? We have all the big chain restaurants near my work so I can somewhat steer the group in certain directions. So far I'm loving the steak salad at Pasta Pomodoro!

Also, salad dressings... I realize I can make primal salad dressings, but are there any brands / types that are acceptable from the store? In reality, I'd much rather buy a good primal dressing at the supermarket so I can keep a bottle at work etc...just for convenience sake.

Thanks...

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke363 View Post
    I'm new to all this and have been eating about 80-90% primal, but I tend to have to do a lot of lunches out for work. Does anyone have a favorite menu item at a chain restaurant that's also Primal? We have all the big chain restaurants near my work so I can somewhat steer the group in certain directions. So far I'm loving the steak salad at Pasta Pomodoro!

Also, salad dressings... I realize I can make primal salad dressings, but are there any brands / types that are acceptable from the store? In reality, I'd much rather buy a good primal dressing at the supermarket so I can keep a bottle at work etc...just for convenience sake.

Thanks...
    I sure do wish I could find a ready-made store bought primal dressing to keep at work as well because sometimes I forget mine from home that I made and it angers me!

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    I don't do the restaurants thingy anymore but then again I'm not forced to do so at my work. I have heard that Chipotle restaurants have good primal options.

As for dressing for the office, I keep a small bottle of chili infused EVOO and a small bottle of vinegar in my desk drawer.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Eating out used to be my most favourite thing in the world to do, but I've had to mostly give it up. Most people are ok with a non Primal 20%, but I'm a T1 Diabetic and I have to control my blood sugars at all times. Anything non primal does not agree with me, and I pay for it for days afterwards. Now when I do go out for someone's Birthday or whatever, I usually get a lovely, rare steak and veggies. There's one place we go to occasionally and they do a surf n turf steak which has king prawns and pate in the middle of two steaks with a red wine sauce. it's delicious but unfortunately the sauce has a small amount of cornflour in it and even that is enough to set my blood sugar off.

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    Usually you can skip the starch, potatoes or whatever, and get another vegetable. I'm not having much trouble doing it that way at restaurants. But sandwiches are out, for the most part.

Don
    Don is offline Member
    Don't eat out much these days either. no fast food. Maybe once a week go out to dinner with my GF and Daughter.

Sometimes I'll use it as a cheat. but more often than not I'll just get a chef salad or similar with ranch dressing. Hold the croutons and bread. Or an order of wings and ranch. I can feel the effects of eating non primally.......retaining water, some inflamtion, drowsy from the excess carbs....that's all the motivation I need usually. That and I want to keep moving towards my goals.

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Grilled meat (grilled steaks [love T-bone], pork chops, spare ribs, chicken, and rabbit) with salad (no dressing). I have a wonderful Spanish restaurant that grill their meats (you can also ask them to fry them.....no way! Vegetable oils!). I try to stay away from non-primal foods in restaurants, and will do so only on rare occasions (birthdays, holiday treat, etc).

If you must eat out, there are primal options out there. Just look.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I stick with Chipotle for eating out - a salad (I skip their dressing, but they give you more lettuce if you order the salad) with meat, fajita veg, mild salsa and guac. The guac acts as a dressing. If I'm really hungry, I'll get double meat.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    +1 on the grilled meats, but my eyes always look for the seafood portion of the menu first. the problem is that most chain restaurants will have poor quality fish and not know how to cook it well. in that case, i go for something like chicken or steak with no starch, double veg and butter.
    as for salad dressing, a good restaurant will have the ingredients and skill to make you an olive oil based dressing. if they don't or are unwilling, see if they have salsa...it makes a great addition to any salad.

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Agreed... I go to Chipotle and get the Fajita Burrito bowl w/ no rice or beans. Just the meat (there's is mostly all natural), peppers/onions, lettuce, pico de gallo and guac and it's SUPER satisfying.
    I've only eaten out twice other than that (just now in week 3) and I did a breakfast burrito sans tortilla and cheese (basically just the innards - eggs, ham and veggies) with fruit instead of potatoes for a breakfast and then spare ribs with veggies as a side the other time. Not as hard as I would have thought it would be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast