Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fruit based diet or Paleo? page

James17 Guest

Primal Fuel

Hello, my name is James. I rarely post to forums but I was interested in seeing some responses to this. Thanks!

The following is an article about a fruit based diet with a similar idea to a Primal diet, but does not feature meat and probably involves more fruit than Mark or any other Paleo promoters would advise.

http://www.mindfully.org/Food/2005/Fruit-Eaters-Human15oct05.htm

I'd be interested to hear some opinions on the diet.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Fruitarians. A diet based on glucose and fructose. The exact opposite of Primal and Paleo, James. I don't even have to look at the link.

I suggest spending a lot of time here: http://www.beyondveg.com/index.shtml

Also, go to the Links page, many great articles. Somewhere in there I've read accurate appraisals of the Fruitarian diet.

grandma is offline Member

If you do look at the link, the definition of fruit seems to extend to leafy greens and squash. It never discusses the ratio of those. I suspect this amounts to the same as the primal vegetarian discussion. Add in some eggs an your probably doing OK.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

"OK" isn't Primal or Paleo. These diets require something on the order of 60% of calories from animal sources and the balance, plant. Eating all fruit, even with veggies, and a few eggs Paleo/Primal it is not.

From my readings there are plenty of, dare I say, fruit-cakes out there that really do try to subsist on almost only fruit. Might as well eat table sugar and a few fiber wafers.

grandma is offline Member

Hmmm.... OTB are you taking a stance based on "religion"? I'm not so concerned with the label. The diet that they are proposing is not what I would call and all-fruit diet. They are proposing a vegetarian diet without grain. It includes fruit/veggies/nuts it is not the "fruitiest" thing that I have ever seen. They take the botanical definition of fruit which includes some nuts and tomatoes, squash, etc. I like to read these things and try to understand if and why they may work. Because we know a lot of diets work for those who follow them. Of course "work" is a subjective term, some define "work" as weight loss, but that is the last of the priorities on my definition. It is entirely possible that this diet "works" and people like it simply because it gets them off of the industrial fats and processed crap.

But you are correct. Such a diet does not fit the definition of paleo/primal. But I don't think that was the posters question. I think he was asking if there was merit to such a diet. In my opinion, I would want to make sure that such a diet included some fat, preferably SFA or MUFA not PUFA. So coconut should be a big part of it. I would also included animal protein like eggs. I think if you get all of your protein from nuts the PUFA % of your diet would be quite high and I am trying to avoid that personally. But on the plus side, seeds would not be included (not fruits) so I think that is a good thing with respect to keeping the PUFA down. It is also a raw food diet, so again you are avoiding some oxidized fat problems.

In the end, I think there is some merit to the diet, but I would think that optimal health would be come from by including some animal source.

regarding fruit = sugar + fiber. I have not quite "grokked" the whole story of fructose yet, I am very curious to learn if you are right that sugary fruits are just as bad as table sugar.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I second Grandma's approach to the OP.

The Primal Blueprint is not a holy book, but Mark Sisson's personal (and, imo, successful and very articulate) approach to following "Paleo-friendly" dietary guidelines as a path to thriving (mainly health-wise.)

Paleo and Primal are nothing but labels. What matters is what they are built upon.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

This reminds me of a group I met while watching the Tour de California (bike race) called Organic Athletes. (info at organicathlete.org). Very, very heavy emphasis on fruit, and no meat at all.

These guys and gals were into endurance events; mountain bike rides of over 100 miles every weekend, that sort of thing.

They were the picture of health. Glowing skin, lots of energy. So, how is this possible? They're doing exactly the opposite of what we're doing here: lots of cardio, lots of carbs, not much protein.

It's easy to poo-poo them and say "Oh, but just wait 20 or 30 years, and it's gonna catch up with them!" But that's ridiculous; they could say the same thing about us.

Could it be possible that different people thrive on different diets and exercise habits? Yep, that's my guess. Ultimately, we all have to pay close attention to how our bodies react to different things, and do what feels right.

Diet and exercise IS a lot like religion, and I refuse to believe that any one group has the key to "salvation" for everyone, including this one. It's definitely the right path for ME.

musajen is offline Junior Member

That's an interesting article. Like others have said, I think "different strokes, for different folks" applies here. Our bodies do have an uncanny ability to survive and even thrive on various diets. I think first and foremost, it's about getting away from all the processed and engineered junk that passes for food.

You might find this blog interesting, from a former fruitarian:

http://www.carnivorehealth.com/

vkh Guest

Cool article by the OP. Before starting the Primal diet, I was investigating raw food diets and fruitarian diets. A couple of comments I have are:

1. As the article states, we were probably fruitarian when we were evolving in our more primitive primate forms. Look at our closest living relatives the chimpanzees. They are mostly fruitarian in the wild (the Bonobo being almost strictly fruitarian) and we all had a common ancestor less than 10 million years ago.

So, that a fruitarian diet would "work" does not surprise me at all, even if it's not OPTIMAL for our physiology anymore.

3. However, the fruits in existence today for the most part are NOT the fruits are ancestors evolved on. Most have been bred by man to be larger, sweeter, and often less nutritious than their ancestors.

So, whether TODAY'S humans could live optimally off of an abundant supply of our ANCESTOR'S fruits is one question. Whether we could live off today's fruits would be even harder I would think.

banana Guest

What an interesting topic and right on time, at least for me.

I'd like to add my 2 cents from my experience.

Currently, I am on a fruitarian diet a bit more than 3 months now. I have to say I really like it. I lost heaps of body fat within the first 2 months. It literally just fell off. Cellulite is almost all gone. Digestion improved greatly. So far I can only praise the fruitarian diet. But I am not there yet.

I basically eat fruits all day and maybe once a week I throw in some leafy greens. I still have some trouble with digesting the cellulose from the leafy greens, therefore I keep the intake low for now. Once a week or once every two weeks I eat some extra fat.

I still workout 6 days a week doing strength training, HIIT 3x week and walking.

Before switching to the fruitarian diet I was eating keto/paleo/primal for 9 to 10 months and also liked it. I coupled it with some intermittent fasting and also lost a tiny bit of body fat, but never as much as I did on the fruitarian diet. I always had trouble with my digestion at that time.

The one thing that would steer me back to paleo/primal would be the social aspect. Eating out right now is not an option since I cannot indulge in a salad (cellulose digestion). Ordering 10 bananas for dinner in a restaurant is not option either.

I also agree with grandma and dragonmamma.

@vkh: 3. The fruits may have more sugar than the ones we evolved on, but I'd like to add that the meat our ancestors evolved on, if they indeed did, are also almost inexistent. The animals today are grain fed and stuffed with all sorts of chemicals and antibiotics and what not. You have to drive a long way to get your grass-fed meat, at least where I live. Most people even cannot afford to buy grass-fed meat. What I mean is, that your third paragraph also applies to today's meat not only to the fruits.

Furthermore, you should only eat as much as you need to sustain your daily life and your daily exercise. Therefore, even if the fruits have a bit more sugar today, you won't die from it. One can always throw in some more exercise if sugar should be the fear.

So guess I will stick to my fruitarian lifestyle for now, cause I like it and I see improvements on all ends. Is it sustainable in the long run? I don't know. Time will tell. Is paleo/primal sustainable in the long run? Time will tell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast