Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fruit based diet or Paleo? page 3

banana Guest

Primal Fuel

James:

I came across some interesting "facts" about indigenous diets during my researches on the net.

All diets (indians, aborigines, europeans...) consisted of plants, nuts, eggs from birds or even fish if they had access to rivers or the sea. Maybe once a week or every fortnight the tribes people would eat some meat (caribou, birds, buffalo or whatever). Some tribes ate more meat and some less. They were all lean and healthy people and very strong. As soon as they all were introduced to canned food, sugar, alcohol and processed foods they started to put on weight and diseases started to spread.

So according to this, I guess meat wasn't on the table every day at least not fresh meat. Maybe dried meat from the last catch.

banana Guest

Jedi:

I will point you to books which will list researches in the reference section.

80/10/10 by Dr Graham Douglas

Quantum Eating by Tonya Zavasta

Google: T.C. Fry, Arnold Ehret, William Howard Hay, Herbert M Shelton

The Raw Food Bodybuilding Training Manual by Charlie Abel - It's not research just his journey, but a very good and interesting read nonetheless.

There is lots of stuff out there which can even be downloaded for free.

And I definitely recommend the "How Much Protein" by Brad Pilon. It's not about fruits but about protein in general. He knows his stuff and worked the industry for years.

Jedi is offline Member

thanks Banana, yes i love Brad's stuff and have "how much protein"

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

You get all your protein needs from fruit? My mind reels. OK, OK, I'm trying to say something is working for you that is so contrary to simple nutritional physics, but I can not get my head around it. Fruit most certainly does NOT have "Plenty of amino acids." One gram total protein in a banana is not "Plenty."

I don't know if it is Brad Pillon's, but I've read some things on the internet about the protein RDA's being too high. I'll admit to not knowing who is right on this one. I do know that it's definitely a "better safe than sorry" for me. The thing about stressing the kidneys is Old Housewive's Bunk.

And I am having trouble with trying to understand your calorie argument. It's almost starting to sound "breatharian," you know, the folks who claim to breath and get all the nutrients they need. Are you saying that you don't need calories as long as you have nutrients? (And the calorie content of a food has nothing to do with cold or hot.)

The argument that this is what we used to eat in Grokland is way off base. Dr. Cordain has a whole department of Paleo Nutrition at Colorado State University and they should know what our ancestors and the remaining Groksters eat. Fruit is not a big part of the diet, all plant matters average out to 40% or less of the diet. Animal matters constitute 60% or more. That includes insects and bugs, animal matters that most vegan/vegetarian/fruitarian proponents overlook.

All I know is that if my diet were 95% fruit, I couldn't leave the bathroom!

How many pounds of fruit a day do you consume? What, besides bananas?

Mick Guest

[quote]

I came across some interesting "facts" about indigenous diets during my researches on the net.

All diets (indians, aborigines, europeans...) consisted of plants, nuts, eggs from birds or even fish if they had access to rivers or the sea. Maybe once a week or every fortnight the tribes people would eat some meat.</blockquote>

That&#39;s a blatant untruth. It might not be yours; it might be your sources&#39; untruth. It&#39;s still a blatant untruth.

It doesn&#39;t stand up for ten seconds with anyone who has even a passing knowledge of the ethnographic literature.

I&#39;ve no objection to people being vegetarian if they wish, but they shouldn&#39;t tell lies.

One can probably get by on meat once a week, so long as one has enough eggs, dairy produce, and bone-broth in the diet (vide Weston Price&#39;s Swiss and Sir Robert McCarrison&#39;s researches on the diets of Northern India) but primitive people did not eat in that way.

The diets of primitive people were incredibly rich in animal foods. Some primitive peoples ate almost nothing but meat and fat with some 80% of their calories coming from fats. And all ate far, far more meat or fish with its associated animal fats that civilized peoples do. And nor did they eat just muscle meats, like moderns either: frequently they&#39;d eat the organ meats, then the fat, and then abandon a carcass. People like Samuel Hearne saw them do it. Archaeological information from kill sites shows they were highly selective, abandoning some carcasses and only taking parts of others.

And this, of course, is why Weston Price found in the 30s that some of the last remaining groups of hunter-gatherers had levels of important fat-soluble vitamins at some ten times what they were in the average American diet of his day. (The gap would be wider now.) This he thought was one of the major reasons why the dentition of his primitives was near perfect to actually perfect - one African group had not a single instance of dental caries in the whole tribe - their bones were good, and their health and physical powers far beyond what most people nowadays regard as the norm.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123