Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fruit based diet or Paleo? page 2

grandma is offline Member

Shop Now
    [quote]

As the article states, we were probably fruitarian when we were evolving in our more primitive primate forms. Look at our closest living relatives the chimpanzees. They are mostly fruitarian in the wild (the Bonobo being almost strictly fruitarian) and we all had a common ancestor less than 10 million years ago. </blockquote>

There are those that says that we evolved from an aquatic primate (what-ever that is, there don&#39;t appear to be any of those left) so in that case fruit would be very rare in that diet. Who knows!

In diet there appear to be 2 things that "work" 1. eat close to nature 2. follow something. There appears to be phenomenon that followers tend to do well, those who stray do not. It could be that we are able to follow the diet that naturally works for us. If you have a tendency to stray, then maybe that is not the right diet for you.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

banana, you mention "extra fat," nothing about protein. How are you getting protein? I would suspect that you might be cannibalizing your muscle mass and that&#39;s some of your weight loss. A banana has a gram of protein, you would have to eat 50 medium ones a day to get a modest amount (while consuming 5000 calories.)

It&#39;s very hard to fruitarians and vegens to get enough calories, plain and simple, according to this guy: http://www.beyondveg.com/billings-t/cal-par/calorie-paradox1a.shtml

But back to the OP&#39;s original question, sticking to that question, no, it&#39;s not Primal. Call it religion, whatever, it is not Primal. If you are Jewish and wish to eat double bacon cheeseburgers, have at it. But don&#39;t say you are eating Kosher.

OTB. He didn&#39;t ask if it was primal, he asked for opinions on the diet.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

OK, my bad. I guess when I read, "a fruit based diet with a similar idea to a Primal diet, " the circuits shorted to "Is it Primal?" Because the idea isn&#39;t similar at all.

Still haven&#39;t read the link have you

Tarlach is offline Member

Here&#39;s a bit of info/rant about fructose:

http://www.raisin-hell.com/

There seems to be a bit of evidence that the stuff is bad news for you.

A fruitarian diet could maybe be called paleo/primal, but the longer I eat paleo, the more I drift towards carnivorous...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

vkh Guest

Here is an article detailing research on Bonobo chimpanzee diets in the wild:

http://www.nagonline.net/Diets%20pdf/Bonobo%20Nutrition.pdf

Here is an article on the Common chimp with a paragraph on diet:

http://www.honoluluzoo.org/chimpanzee.htm

I&#39;m with grandma on the fact that I&#39;m not quite convinced that fruits are just poisonous fructose mixed with fiber. Are we that metabolically removed from our fellow primates that fruits shouldn&#39;t be a major part of an optimal diet? Or maybe we should only be eating fruits for their essential micronutrient content?

banana Guest

@ OTB

I get all my amino acids directly from fruits. Fruits contain plenty amino acids and the body does not need any energy to convert protein into amino acids in the first place.

We all eat too much protein/amino acids anyway. Protein or amino acids respectively are being constantly recycled in the body and we only need to replace the amount lost, which is a very small amount. You may want to read "How Much Protein" by Brad Pilon.

You suspect wrong with my muscles. I lost fat only. And since I am doing strength training 3x a week there is no way I lost muscle mass. I am not on a starvation diet and do not lay in bed the whole day doing nothing. Then one would lose SOME muscle mass and only very little.

Thanks for the link. I already know about Tom Billings. It seems the fruitarian diet didn&#39;t do much for him. Doesn&#39;t mean that someone else can thrive on it.

About your calorie argument. I do not agree with it. IMHO it&#39;s not a question of getting enough calories but a question of getting all the nutrition the body needs. If it gets it with less calories why eat more or even force feed? A calorie is measured by heating. I do not heat my fruits, I eat them cold. Therefore the calorie argument is mute. I get more from my fruits than I would from cooked meat. Don&#39;t get me wrong, I do not bash the meat eaters at all. How could I, just because I switched from paleo/primal to fruit doesn&#39;t mean I can agree with you. I just state my opinion on this. I don&#39;t buy into the calorie in / calorie out anyway.

James17 Guest

OnTheBayou, sorry if I wasn&#39;t very clear! What I meant by a similar idea wasn&#39;t in a macronutritional sense. I meant that they are both based on &#39;what we evolved to eat&#39;.

It is certainly hard to imagine how we could possibly get enough protein on such a diet. I think with modern fruits and our own modern bodies meat is important. Some say that we are not natural meat eaters and that if we were we would have &#39;obvious&#39; physical attributes to show for it (Larger canines, Claws, etc). In my opinion, we would have been eating meat with the assistance of tools so we wouldn&#39;t need to develop such body parts. There is the possibility, however, that we eat too much meat. I cannot imagine it would have been a daily task for the men of a million years ago to hunt down an animal, rather every few days.

Jedi is offline Member

Banana, please could you point me to some research showing that we can get all essential amino acids from fruit alone? (genuine question)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast