Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to use instead of the macaroni? page

Hilary is online now Senior Member

What to use instead of the macaroni?

Shop Now
    I like macaroni cheese - the really quick version my Mum used to make, with the pasta in an egg-milk-cheese mix, topped with tomatoes and bacon. Yum.

OK, so what can I use instead of macaroni? I've tried strips of courgette (zucchini), and while it tastes fine, there's far too much moisture - very runny. What would actually soak up a bit of moisture and blend in in a pasta-ish sort of way? Any suggestions?

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I think hannah has a recipe somewhere for cheesy cauliflower that's her substitute for mac and cheese. I don't know the details, but you just chop up the cauliflower smaller and cook, maybe even roast it, so it's not as mushy? Then mix in cheese, maybe some cream and add your toppings.

I used to love mac & cheese and I remember seeing her version and thinking YUM!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i think you could cut up and steam (not to the point of mushy) cauliflower and that would work as a pretty good replacement. i'm not sure of how absorbent it is, but it definitely has a similar texture to macaroni if cooked right, and would go great with cheese, tomatoes and bacon....i'm a little bit hungry now.

Cauli... got it, thanks. I wonder how it'd be with purple sprouting broccoli? Love the stuff.

I am not hungry. I am not hungry. I am not hungry.

(*Disappears to kitchen for almonds*)

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Mmmmmmm..... Broccoli cheesy goodness. Broccoli acts as a decent substitute, if not making it better in my book. Sautee the broccoli in garlic butter, then replace the noodles with it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Funny enough, fresh primal foods don't tend to be all that absorbent like bread or pasta is. My paternal grandmother's Thanksgiving turkey would work I suppose. She had of way of making "turkey sponge" that was so dry it literally sucked the saliva right out of your mouth. If you didn't want to chew it like a cow chewing her cud then you had to drown it in gravy or cranberry sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Mmmmmmm..... Broccoli cheesy goodness. Broccoli acts as a decent substitute, if not making it better in my book. Sautee the broccoli in garlic butter, then replace the noodles with it.
    Just wanted to see that on the thread twice, to make up for the turkey sponge. Garlic butter broccoli cheese... mmm...

StillWild is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    Funny enough, fresh primal foods don't tend to be all that absorbent like bread or pasta is. My paternal grandmother's Thanksgiving turkey would work I suppose. She had of way of making "turkey sponge" that was so dry it literally sucked the saliva right out of your mouth. If you didn't want to chew it like a cow chewing her cud then you had to drown it in gravy or cranberry sauce.
    My boyfriend's Aunt used to cook turkey like this, but it was on purpose. She'd serve it with melted butter poured over it!

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I think you might try salting the zucchini, like you do with cucumber before making yogurt dips, to get the water out.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    My kiddos LOVE cauli with a homemade eggy cheese sauce! I just boil the cauli in a bit of chicken stock and a splash of white wine (totally optional but delicious!) and then use that liquid with the cream and egg yolks to form the base of the thick cheesy sauce! Less nutrients lost from the veggies that way!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast