Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooked Eggs bad for you? page

KettleBellHack is offline Junior Member

Cooked Eggs bad for you?

Primal Fuel
    I recently was reading a Mercola commentary on eggs. His take on eating eggs is that the best option is to consume raw eggs. His comment was related to the fact that cooking eggs on high heat oxidizes the cholesterol in the yolk, which of course is not ideal.

Any feedback on this issue as to whether or not it is something to be concerned about? Would this apply to hardboiled as well since it is not a "direct" heat?

I am not sure I can stomach raw eggs...or that it would be such a good idea to go Rocky style.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    AFAIK you don't want to eat raw egg white, because it contains avidin that binds with biotin and prevents you from absorbing it. Cooked egg white, and raw egg yolk, is fine. I put raw (local, free-range) egg yolk in smoothies sometimes, and save the whites in the fridge to cook later. White by themselves make very nice, fluffy almond-meal pancakes .

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    i love mine softboiled. Cooked whites and liquid yolk

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    I know cooking the yolk isn't ideal. From what I understand, the longer they're cooked (and higher heat), the worse. So, I fry them until the whites are done, but then turn the heat off and scramble them up really quick to slightly cook the yolks and make (sort of) scrambled eggs. I like fried eggs (runny yolk), but my daughter won't eat them like that, so I cook them as I first mentioned for her. I also put raw (pastured) yolks in smoothies. Or soft boil. I like eggs in every way, shape, or form!

ETA: I have read that soft boiled (or even hard boiled?) is the best way to cook them since it is gentler and leaves the egg intact. I don't know if that's true or not.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    It's true that oxygen and heat effect the cholesterol in the yolk by oxidation. But, uncooked eggs whites are not ideal, half as bioavailable not to mention the chronic consumption of raw egg whites effect from the avidin - biotin connection. Scrambled is probably the worst case scenario. You have to keep in mind that the paleo diet has already improved most peoples lipid profile and eating scrambled eggs once in a while isn't any cause for alarm. I would be more worried about the people that have replaced whole milk with skim, where they used dried milk powder for viscosity and taste (otherwise people wouldn't touch skim Ibet.) which is loaded with oxidized cholesterol from the drying process to make milk powder. Eat your eggs any way you want, as long as you have enough sunny side up, poached, overeasy and soft boiled to offset the scrambled and hardboiled. imo
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Why would scrambled be worst? You lost me.

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member
    Surely not another thing to worry about; seems to be a daily process now. My health has probable declined since going primal what with all the worrying about what I'm eating. Ignorance is underrated.

I have a few fried eggs every morning.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Why would scrambled be worst? You lost me.
    Hilary it's because we're exposing the yolks to air and heat, and an omelet would be no different. Again you have to take this into context, much like when someone says a certain food has too much omega 6 compared to omega 3.......well that's going to happen, not every food has a perfect balance. We just need to make sure we're getting the good stuff (raw and uncooked yolk) with the potentially bad stuff (cooked yolk) in mind.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Ah, got it - the scrambling, air-exposure part, rather than the light cooking. Thanks. (Not that I'm about to give up scrambled egg, you understand, but maybe I'll get out the poaching pan sometimes for a change.)

Suse is offline Senior Member
    trouble is for me a poached egg really needs bread under it... scrambled or an omelette stands alone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast