Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cooked Eggs bad for you? page 2

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I LOVELOVELOVE soft-boiled eggs.
    Thanks for reminding me

midwestMama is offline Junior Member
    An anecdotal warning about the raw eggs whites:

Last summer, along with a chronic stressful situation, I was trying to simplify; before I found Primal Blueprint. I went on the recommendation by Mercola (watched the woman on video on his site) to dump the whole raw eggs into my smoothie. I did it this way for months. Of course, there were several factors I'm sure, but I'm certain that depleted my biotin. I ended up with the worst case of hay fever for months and it continued through a whole cascade of issues (like sinus infections resulting from the chronic mucous, etc.). I will throw the egg whites away instead of eating them raw. But, they do work great in baked goods (almond flour as mentioned).

Roach is offline Senior Member
    This is one of those things where I just kinda shrug and say "whatever" in my head. Every week there's some new horrible caveat coming from Mercola. I simply won't be troubled by it haha.

dfast is offline Member
    I had organic free range raw egg yolks (no whites) for breakfast this morning. They were delicious, and I will be having them again. Such a delicate taste.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pezerinno View Post
    Surely not another thing to worry about; seems to be a daily process now. My health has probable declined since going primal what with all the worrying about what I'm eating.
    No kidding.

Steve-in-MN is offline Member
    When in the egg section of wholefoods I often look at the containers of egg whites and think - what did they do with all those yolks? Why can't they put them in cartons and put them up there next to the EggBeaters for us Primal folks? Probably go into animal feed or protein powder or the garbage ... and we probably wouldn't want the yolks from eggs processed on a large scale like that anyway.

dfast is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-in-MN View Post
    When in the egg section of wholefoods I often look at the containers of egg whites and think - what did they do with all those yolks? Why can't they put them in cartons and put them up there next to the EggBeaters for us Primal folks? Probably go into animal feed or protein powder or the garbage ... and we probably wouldn't want the yolks from eggs processed on a large scale like that anyway.
    They extract lecithin from yolks. Wouldn't surprise me if that's where they end up!

KettleBellHack is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the responses. I think you are right. If the yolk gets cooked every once in a while no biggie. I am taking much more significant steps to IMPROVE my health elsewhere and this is an area that could become a bit nit-picky. I WILL start frying my eggs so they are still runny though just to avoid cooking them hard like I usually do. I also need to try the soft boiled method...never tried it, but my sister loves them that way.

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    If Sally Fallon has any credibility:

Hi Sally, I have a question for you about oxidized cholesterol. I know from the WAPF site that one of the many reasons low-fat milk is so unhealthy is due to the fact that powdered milk is added, which contains oxidized cholesterol (which can cause heart disease, not saturated fats as we’ve been led to believe). But I’ve also heard we shouldn’t cook our egg yolks, or they will oxidize as well – is this true? Also, I know raw milk is best, and it’s what my family drinks, however I’ve been suggesting to my readers that if they don’t drink raw milk, to at least drink whole milk. But if heating/pasteurizing the milk oxidizes the cholesterol, should I then be suggesting they drink raw milk or NO milk?

Sally’s reply:

The confusion comes about by what causes cholesterol in food to oxidize–it is not pasteurization or cooking (scrambled eggs are fine), but the spray drying of milk or egg yolks when they are forced through a very tiny hole at high temperature and pressure to make powdered milk and eggs. Powdered milk is added to 1% and 2% milk to give it body.

Regarding milk, the more I learn about pasteurization, the more I realize how harmful it is (for other reasons than the oxidation of cholesterol). And now most milk is ultra-pasteurized, especially most organic milk.

I think if people can’t get raw milk, the next best thing is pasteurized (not ultra-pasteurized) cream diluted with water. The fats are much less prone to damage by pasteurization than the water portion of the milk, and at least the fats in cream have not been homogenized. This is what I did for my family when we could not get raw milk. We used diluted cream on porridge and in cooking.

Hope this helps! Sally

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2009/0...-question.html

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    ohh this makes me sad....i adore scramble eggs in alotta butter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast