Thread: the metabolic diet? page

alexa85 is offline Senior Member

the metabolic diet?

i saw one or two other threads on this but thought i'd start my own. my kettlebell trainer sent me a copy of the metabolic diet to look over. he knows i follow the primal lifestyle but thought i'd be interested. i'm reading over the metabolic plan and considering it...with my own special tweak on it. i've been upping my carb count through fruit, coconut pancakes, sweet potatoes/new potatoes etc on my heavy training days with fine results. i'm very active during the week - kettlebell training twice a week and bjj once to twice a week, lots of walking etc.
    i don't agree with adding in foods/drinks with artificial sweetners to satisfy cravings during the low carb five day period - so that won't be happening. i am kinda worried that 30 g of carbs is going to be hard for me to adhere to but not impossible. i am worried that i'll be fatigued during my training though. i don't really see myself going that crazy on the weekends. i'd probably add back in lentils, garbanzos, some pita or tortillas, corn, a sandwich here and there (really miss those) maybe an occasional sweet treat on the weekends. there would definitely not be any processed/artificial food added back in.
    has anyone else tried this?
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    If you are referring to Pasquale's book, I read that two or three years back when I first came across the carb cycling diet techniques. The concept sort of makes sense for athletic type folks but the book itself is frustrtating to read with all the grammtical and spelling errors and poor organization (he needs to have a real editor look over his book before publisihing new editions).

That said, you may want to look into Lyle McDonald's targeted ketogenic diet. Similar principles as Pasquale, but targeting carb intake more precisely for your workouts. Pasquale's approach seems more generalized while McDonald's is more detailed.

The fruits won't do you much good and you may be better off using clean starches for your carb intake (like potatoes and white rice) rather than legumes and grains.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

this is an e-book version, not the whole version of the book, but yes i would agree with the poor organization and errors. he also repeats himself too much which is annoying. my trainer told me he followed the metabolic diet previously and finally got his six pack to show but was a lil too gaunt through his face. now this may be an excellent way to get really lean and muscular but i wonder if it's not the best option as far as health goes...?

spedplay@gmail.com is offline Junior Member
    I agree with Asturian. I train my butt off and race longer events. Clean starches are my salvation and without them, I'm totally flat and rest doesn't help the energy recovery. I'll check out McDonald's ketogenic diet. Thanks!

ok, help me out here. any other clean starches? i'm not a fan of white rice - but with sushi i can deal potatoes are ok, but i can only eat so much of them. i'm looking up the other diet now...

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a trainer (far from it), so all I can say is based on what I have read. I suppose you could use glucose tablets (from pharmacy for diabetics) which is pure glucose right before and/or during your workouts (as needed) and then you don't have to worry about clean carb intake from meals. Or you could just eat more sushi .

Here is a link to McDonald's book (a bit pricy IMO).
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-ketogenic-diet
    I never did finish reading completely his book (need to go back and do that), and it is a bit on the techincal level.

There is another book on the same topic which I also found to be a better read than Pasquale's, by Roman Malkov, called "Carb Cycling Diet".
    Last edited by Asturian; 08-24-2010 at 11:57 AM.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i've decided to kinda make up my own primal metabolic diet. we will see how it goes. i don't have any real poundage to lose. i would like to change my body comp a lil bit more is why i am switching up my eating habits. my partner has a lot of weight left to lose, and has kinda stagnated on primal. though, we have taken a lil too much leeway with some primal approved food like fruit, nuts, dark chocolate (for her) and almond butter (for me). this will help us out i think.