Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Organic: a load of BS? page

toban is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Penn & Teller on organic foods: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWxl05cCA88

What do you think? I think they might have a point.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I tell ya what, the veggies I grow in my garden beat the crap out of anything you'll find at Walmart.

suzyschnitz is offline Junior Member

The magicians? If they were offering magic trick secrets, I'd bite... But, are they experts on food?

Homegrown is definitely best, Diana!

Give 'em a chance. Is it so hard to consider that the organic movement has become a matter of faith instead of fact? Gotta look at both sides of the story.

p.s. I agree, home-grown veggies taste great, but they're insanely expensive when you factor in all your costs (including your time).

Agnieszka Guest

My understanding was that there are some fruits and veggies with thick skin, like avocado, in which the organic quality is less important than in others, like strawberries.

Of course, when you factor in the cost on the environment, all organic all the time is the most advantageous.

vkh Guest

I actually saw Penn and Teller live once at the Mirage in Las Vegas. After the show, I talked to Penn Gilette and asked him about his Showtime series "Bullshit" (the show featuring the episode you mention). I asked if they ever did a show where they took a side then realized at a later time that they were wrong. Penn responded that yes, they had, the most notorious one being the episode on how 2nd hand smoking was not bad for you (they later concluded that yes it is bad). But if you had watched the show, you would have sworn they were onto something.

On the show, they really blast the side that they're trying to debunk. So you need to take what they say with a grain of salt. Yes, there are very probably elements of B.S. associated with the organic food industry. But finding one study that shows there is a negligible difference between the nutritional value of a specific organic fruit and its conventional cousin (and who knows what nutrients they're testing for) does not prove that there is not a significant health advantage to buying organic. How about pesticide/other synthetic residue in the conventional item that isn't being tested for in the nutritional profile? What about sustainability of farming procedures, which you pretty much never support if you buy conventional? I'm not an expert but these are just a few of the questions I had when I watched the episode in question.

Chunster495 is offline Member

Seems pretty one sided against organics and seems heavily funded by corporations or lobbyist... As for the taste tests... I'd have to agree that I don't think I can truly tell the difference between organics and non either... The conventionally grown stuff probably is fresher and taste better due to all the hormones, injections, pesticides used to grow.

I choose organics not because I believe they taste better but for the nutritional value, no hormones, and pesticide issues with conventional produce.

I love how they try to make it seem like all organic eating people are crazy hippies from the 70's.

I'm not saying they're right, it's just good to hear some criticism when something becomes a quasi-faith. What if the benefits of organic are way overblown??

Tarlach is offline Member

[quote]

What if the benefits of organic are way overblown?? </blockquote>

What if they aren&#39;t?

There are so many lies and misconceptions in the food industry, that no end consumer has a clue what goes on anymore...

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

Nick Guest

Also, let&#39;s consider the difference between livestock raised on all organic grain, and livestock actually fed its natural diet (say, grass, but still "organic" with no pesticides). There&#39;s going to be a big difference in fat and nutrient profile and how healthy the animal in question is (susceptibility to E. coli, etc.).

Framing the debate about food supply quality as organic vs. non-organic really doesn&#39;t address many points of great substance that are relevant in either context.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast