Thread: fresh coconut page

breadsauce is online now Senior Member

fresh coconut

Primal Fuel
    Well, I bought a fresh coconut. Again. And once again, it tasted of soap. Is this usual? I LOVE dried (dessicated) coconut, and coconut cream. But where (in the UK) can I buy a coconut that doesn't taste as though it has been marinaded in shampoo??

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    waitrose and asda is where i get mine. i've been buying it for ages - even just for fun before going primal - it's that good.

never had a soapy taste...

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    I've tried them from Sainsbury and Tesco - perhaps it's time to go upmarket! Also, I could try an ethnic shop?

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    true - although i've never been into one, don't know how they would "serve it up" i find ethnic shops can often over sweeten things.

Asda not upmarket though! I was buying them years ago and asda was the only place. There should be a slight, creamy film on top of the meaty part which should just have a hint of sweetness. you have to eat it up kinda quick though otherwise it spoils fast...maybe that was the problem?

Jacques is offline Member
    You could always also try a local market, they tend to have fresher produce than supermarkets.

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by queen_sheba View Post
    true - although i've never been into one, don't know how they would "serve it up" i find ethnic shops can often over sweeten things.

Asda not upmarket though! I was buying them years ago and asda was the only place. There should be a slight, creamy film on top of the meaty part which should just have a hint of sweetness. you have to eat it up kinda quick though otherwise it spoils fast...maybe that was the problem?
    To keep the coconut flesh fresh and moist just put it in a bowl of water and keep in the fridge --- stays firm and tasty for yonks.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Maybe it's one of those individual taste bud things? Some people say they hate cilantro because it tastes like soap, but it doesn't taste remotely like soap to me.

Isfahel is offline Senior Member
    I've read that when they are overripe they taste of soap. Your supposed to shake it in the store and if you hear liquid supposedly it's not overripe, if it's dried out it's no good. We got one before I read this and when we opened it it stank horribly and was moldy... That was from Walmart, I figure so few people buy them they probably keep them forever.