Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first 12km - Advice sought page

paleo_rob is offline Senior Member

My first 12km - Advice sought

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok, So i have never done long distance running before. I have on a whim decided to do a run this weekend. I am fairly fit, but I don't plan on running the whole length in one go (would be nice! but I am doubtful).

What are some tips for preparation this week? What about day before race day? Any tips will be much appreciated!

Dan Rivera is offline Member
    Work on form in short distances before going long distances.
    Find your tempo and know it.
    And have a blast.

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    I have run a few 10k races in the past and found my best preparation is to have a few days away from exercise routines,get good sleep and eat normally ie:-no carb loading etc.

Then,as Dan says,find your pace and have a blast.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i was in a similar situation. i don't do any chronic cardio training since i try to follow the PB as closely as possible. but, even after no chronic cardio training, i held my own in my first sprint triathlon this past weekend, and i found that i had all the strength and energy needed to compete with nothing more than a couple days of rest and a sweet potato the the night before to help get me ready (thanks, Chronyx). there are also times when i just feel like going for a run, and i can usually fit in a good 4-5 miles way easier than i ever did 3 miles before going primal.
    give yourself a couple days of rest, a little banana or sweet potato for a little carb energy, and a solid warmup and i'll bet you can run the whole thing.

thanks all. I will get some rest the couple days before and take it easy.

im thinking of doing it in my vibram 5 fingers. but 12km sounds a bit scary going barefoot! any thoughts?

otherwise im pretty excited. should be a fun day either way!

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i was in a similar situation. i don't do any chronic cardio training since i try to follow the PB as closely as possible. but, even after no chronic cardio training, i held my own in my first sprint triathlon this past weekend, and i found that i had all the strength and energy needed to compete with nothing more than a couple days of rest and a sweet potato the the night before to help get me ready (thanks, Chronyx). there are also times when i just feel like going for a run, and i can usually fit in a good 4-5 miles way easier than i ever did 3 miles before going primal.
    give yourself a couple days of rest, a little banana or sweet potato for a little carb energy, and a solid warmup and i'll bet you can run the whole thing.
    Cool! Really pleased it worked for you mate!

Raidho is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo_rob View Post
    thanks all. I will get some rest the couple days before and take it easy.

im thinking of doing it in my vibram 5 fingers. but 12km sounds a bit scary going barefoot! any thoughts?

otherwise im pretty excited. should be a fun day either way!
    Grok on! If the race is just for your own pleasure and doesn't contain any prestige, then I say go for it! Set a primal barefoot example! If you do, let us know!

I myself are just about to go out for my first long-distance run in a good while. 12-km in Vibrams, I'll let you know how it went...

Raidho is offline Junior Member
    Okay so here goes

I warmed up with some dynamic stretching, lubricating the joints throughout the body for about 8 minutes. After that I did some static stretching for the hipflexors and some glute-bridges to awaken the somewhat dormant glutes and hamstrings. 1 minute plank and off I went. All and all 12 minute warmup.

I started the run gently, since I wasn't properly warm in the muscles just yet. Also I haven't run further than multiple 400 m sprints for little over a year, so to on a whim engage in a lont-distance run like this could be devastating. Part from sore calves, this hasn't been the case ....

The 12 km offered variating types of surfaces, asfalt, forest trails (loved those parts) but mostly country-road.

I got some blisters on my big toes, and I also had to stop 3 times to massage and stretch a my right calf/achilles-tendon which obviously isn't used to this type of work.

My time wasn't world record, far from it. 1h 29 minutes (I subtracted 3 minutes from the time due to stop, stretch and massage) I hope to improve this time to 10 km under 50 minutes.

I started my run in the 11'th hour of my fast, although I poped 3 capsules of Meltdown (fat-loss/performance pill). Not really primal I know, but hey, first time running 12 km, in vibrams, in a fasted state, I had to have some sort of juice Meltdown contains 300 mg caffein and 20 mg Synephrine/serving (3 capsules)
    I don't know if it was the "juice" or that my body has begun adapting to run on more fat as fuel, but I felt great! After the run, me and my brother went to the gym and I did som compound-lifting in the 4-6 rep-range. I had a lot of energy despite 12 km running and just a whey-shake with 10 g shredded coconut and a carrot prior to the strenght-training. I even hit a PR on the benchpress.

Although my time might have been better with regular shoes, and done in a fed state, I am still glad I did it like this. I really enjoyed myself, and experienced a truly primal feeling.

Wooo ! Finished my first ever 12km race! Got a time of 1hr 30mins.

This is after going primal in march, and being unable to run 300m without passing out, i knocked out the 12km without needing to stop once, and the limiting factor was my leg strength. I really wasnt that tired towards the end, but my legs were about to collapse.

I raced pretty fasted (last thing I ate was dinner the night before and that day itself, it was the only meal of the day. I chugged down about 10g of BCAA's before the race to aid against muscles being destroyed. Also had about 5g about an hour after the end of the race, and then ate half a chicken, punnet of strawberries and heavy cream.

Totally feeling the runners high now. Enjoyed the race, and feel great now. Thanks for all the advice everyone. Now to get some sleep haha

SeanC is offline Member
    Paleo_Rob

Congrats on the race. I always feel great after finishing a raced I trained for. Any plans on running anything else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast