Thread: Uuuuugh - how long does an opened package of uncured bacon last? page

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member

Uuuuugh - how long does an opened package of uncured bacon last?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm feeling a bit sick at the moment. This has happened before, and coincidentally, both times were after eating bacon. This is bacon that had been opened for maybe 5-6 days, but in a ziploc bag, in the fridge. I'm thinking maybe since this is uncured meat, I need to either cook it all off in 2-3 days, or freeze portions of it.

I also buy Italian sausages, and I've noted that the day I buy them, they're kind of pinkish/reddish. But after a few days, they lose their color and turn a bit more greyish.. however, they don't get me stick, AND they actually taste way way better after turning color like this. I mean, mind-blowingly delicious. I think it's that rule, that meat tastes best just before it goes bad.

Rafiki is offline Junior Member
    I've eaten uncured bacon up to 2 weeks old in the fridge, with no problems. Thats just my experience.

midwestMama is offline Junior Member

depends

...of course.

I haven't timed my bacon, but my initial reaction was going to be about a week after opened.

If not opened, obviously lasts longer. So, I think the factors most affecting how long it will last after opening is temperature and exposure to the air (things floating and landing on it). Minimize what touches it and how long you keep it out before putting it back into the fridge.

I find it easier to cook all at once. I bake mine in oven. Tonight I did about 3/4 of pound as strips. Then I use scissors to cut up the rest into raw bacon bits. After the strips are cooked, I remove them. Then I put in the bacon bits and back into the oven. Stir the bits a couple of times. Now I have leftovers to use easily whenever the mood strikes for a salad or a pizza wrap or an egg scramble.

You'll get much longer time out of cooked bacon in the fridge than you will of opened raw bacon.

Store the leftover bacon grease in a jar in fridge or freezer and use for frying eggs or in your collard greens!

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member
    Does bacon fat need to be stored in a fridge? I thought saturated fats that are solid at room temp (like coconut oil) can just be kept on a shelf?

ORBren is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
    Does bacon fat need to be stored in a fridge? I thought saturated fats that are solid at room temp (like coconut oil) can just be kept on a shelf?
    I know my granny had it on her stove top at all times...I have had it on the stove top for a few days (I use it fast!), but sometimes I have a big volume of bacon grease & I put it in a covered jar in the fridge.
    I too bake a pound at a time and put it in a zip lock in the fridge - great for taking for snacks - good cold or re-heat in the microwave 30sec - 1 min

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    grrr jealous.... i got my shipment from us wellness today and they gave me hot dogs instead of bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ORBren View Post
    I too bake a pound at a time and put it in a zip lock in the fridge - great for taking for snacks - good cold or re-heat in the microwave 30sec - 1 min
    Unfortunately for me, whenever I try to save bacon, it seems to vanish...seems to be strangely related to the 2 teenage boys I have in my house...