Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current TIME: "Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin" page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Right on the front cover!

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html

Lots of interesting data about what Mark and many of us here trying to lose weight have been saying: Don't exercise so much. And, (may I get on my high horse and say DOH!?) how that all that cardio will keep you fat. (May I get on my high horse and say DOH!?)

“Many obesity researchers now believe that very frequent, low-level physical activity — the kind humans did for tens of thousands of years before the leaf blower was invented — may actually work better for us than the occasional bouts of exercise you get as a gym rat.”

Now, that sounds pretty Primal to me!

The conclusion is that weight loss comes with changes in food. But despite mentioning Taubes' work, the reader is not informed what to change in diet to lose weight.

Oh, well, it's a start......and another chink in the brick wall of CW.

Mick Guest

[quote]

... the reader is not informed what to change in diet to lose weight.</blockquote>

But the image at the top is of a doughnut, which is symbolic of sugary foods.

And there&#39;s a hint of that in this passage:
    [quote]

After we exercise, we often crave sugary calories like those in muffins or in "sports" drinks like Gatorade. A standard 20-oz. bottle of Gatorade contains 130 calories.</blockquote>

Mind you, the first clause - "After we exercise" - is redundant. As the endocrinologist on the video Spencer posted recently said: "it&#39;s not &#39;elite athletes&#39; who drink gatorade. It&#39;s fat kids." If you lie on the sofa all day, you can still crave "sugary calories".

And we get worse from there:
    [quote]

psychologists Mark Muraven and Roy Baumeister in which they observed that self-control is like a muscle ...</blockquote>

Yeah, right. So this is about "self control" and nothing to do with leptin.

redforevergone Guest

From what I have read (Mike Mahler) it is normal to crave sugar after an intense workout. It is an indication that you have stimulated the secretion of human growth hormones. I would also suspect that is why Mark says to keep your intake of carbohydrates to pretty much zero post workout to keep the growth hormones high in your system.

Nick Guest

It&#39;s not surprising that self control would appear to be like a muscle. Fructose promotes leptin resistance, and leptin resistance is what causes you to overconsume fructose, so the more you&#39;re able to go against your impulse to drink some fructose, the better your leptin sensitivity, and the weaker your destructive impulses. QED.

ohiolopez is offline Junior Member

OnTheBayou

Thank you for posting this article, my daughter will see it today and also read it when she comes over. Before I knew about carbs and sugar I was riding my bike at least a 100 miles a week with no lose of weight Why> Because I was hungry and drinking gatorade like it was going out of style. Great post thank you

ohio, don&#39;t thank me, thank TIME! The cover story this week is about the poor quality of our food supplies. I&#39;ve not read it yet, but it should be on the home page by now.

Is TIME going Primal? I report, you decide.

Be sure to read up anything Mark has to say about cardio vs. more Primal exercise. Better yet, buy his book! Here is a world class athlete who came to realize all that cardio and physically pounding his body just led to all kinds of problems.

Now he justs exercises Primally, and you can see from his photos his BF and muscle situation.

The original Gatorade had little or no sugar in it. It was electrolyte replacement primarily. Only when Quaker bought the rights did they know the way to an American&#39;s wallet is through his/her sweet tooth.

GeriMorgan Guest

It&#39;s a start. I&#39;m worried, though, that people who were planning to start exercising will read this article and decide that they won&#39;t bother, since it "doesn&#39;t actually help."

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

That&#39;s pretty much the case with simplified reporting geared for mass consumption. Most mainstream treatments of anything with a degree of subtlety completely fail to report those angles, even though all it would require would be an extra sentence or two, or even a partial sentence. On the other hand, a lot of people are always going to take away the wrong message no matter how you phrase it, for whatever reason... because they hear what they want or expect to hear, instead of what&#39;s actually being said. That and the time factor (attention span) are why I generally point people at the 1-hour Gary Taubes video instead of recommending they read GCBC, unless I think they have the patience and/or intelligence to "read the whole thing". Thankfully Charles Washington has done a great summary of it (links on his forum).

GeriMorgan, that&#39;s EXACTLY the point, insofar as weight loss, it (cardio) doesn&#39;t help and is counterproductive.

That&#39;s why Mark, a major ex-cardio guy if there ever was one, doesn&#39;t recommend it any more.

And frogfarm is right, some one will misread anything to fit their perspective.

Karin Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

The time article is just more fuel for people who want to say that it&#39;s their genetic destiny to be fat and there is nothing they can do about it so why bother trying. As far as i&#39;m concerned, that&#39;s a bunch of B.S.! You control how you move and what you eat. If you&#39;re smart about it, it can indeed be done. I&#39;ve lost 55 lbs with a better diet and more exercise and i don&#39;t have some sort of superhuman willpower or anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast