Thread: Frozen Bacon and Sausage page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Frozen Bacon and Sausage

I have tons of frozen sausage and bacon and it is becoming a pain my ass to keep remembering to thaw it out in time for me to use in the morning.

I was thinking I could open the sausage and bacon and then freeze them separately and then just pull them out and cook them, but I'm not sure how they would turn out.

Right now in the mornings I'll toss a few slices of bacon or a link of sausage in the toaster oven at 400 degrees for 11 - 12 minutes and it come out perfectly. If I threw them in frozen and added some time, would they still be awesome or would I end up with a wet mess?

Also, I bet my general question threads are getting annoying, I think I might start a "general questions and answers" thread after this one so I can stop bothering everyone and maybe we can compile a good resource.

tbow is offline Member
    We take our bacon and divide it as soon as we get it home (we buy it 10# at a time, but there are seven of us, so it still goes quickly). I tend to make two separate bag sizes for it: for meals, for seasoning. When I get up in the AM, I make the coffee and pull out a bag of bacon. By the time I'm dressed and ready to cook, it's thawed enough to fry up, but still cold enough that it'll crisp beautifully for those that like it crisp.

Sausage, same thing, if I've bought a chub of it. You can thaw it just enough to cut it, then slice it and re-freeze the slices on a cookie sheet and then put them into a freezer bag. That way, they don't freeze together and you can pull out one or five, however many you need. I usually do put the sausage into the hot skillet still frozen, or mostly frozen, and there's no problem. (Or, maybe there is, and I just don't realize my sausage sucks. LOL. That is a possibility.)

I can't offer any insight to tweaking the toaster oven plan, though, sorry.
    ~ Loving the good life, built the way we want it. ~

Fern is offline Senior Member
    I don't cook my bacon from frozen, but I cook sausages from frozen in my toaster oven most days, it takes a while longer but its still tastes good!

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Awesome, I think I'll give it a whirl tomorrow then and see how it goes!

My plan is to fold the bacon up like an accordion with wax paper so the pieces don't freeze together.

ORBren is offline Senior Member
    I generally bake a full pound of bacon at the same time. Then put the pre-cooked slices in a zip-lock bag in the fridge. Really good cold or heat up in 30 sec in the microwave (1 min if you like really crispy). we go through about a pound a week.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post

My plan is to fold the bacon up like an accordion with wax paper so the pieces don't freeze together.
    You can also (with anything, not just bacon) freeze on parchment on a big jelly roll tray, then toss in a bag. They don't stick if they're frozen before you throw them in the bag.

Works for things like berries, veggies, or really anything.

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post

...somehow, for some reason, I imagined the bacon on end, all zig-zagged, and thought 'Why?'

My thought bubbles are always this absurd, I'm afraid...
    Little Saiyan

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I believe its always best to thaw the meat and let it sit out in room temperature before cooking it to if possible - at least with steak so you don't "shock" the meat. So, freezing it and then cooking it right away might not be the best idea. Not sure but just my thoughts...
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Buzzy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    ...somehow, for some reason, I imagined the bacon on end, all zig-zagged, and thought 'Why?'

My thought bubbles are always this absurd, I'm afraid...
    You're not the only one......it did occur to me that maybe he was making a house of bacon and needed some stairs.....

And Rivvin, your general question threads are not annoying, because you are a splash of awesome sauce and if you have questions, we want the answers too, we just don't know it yet.
    Last edited by Buzzy; 08-27-2010 at 09:33 PM. Reason: to schmooze on Riv
    It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better."
    ~~Sir Francis Drake