Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with avocado? page

trobi is offline Member

What to do with avocado?

Shop Now
    I've been trying to introduce avocados into my diet, but I just can't stand them! I don't understand how my boyfriend can just eat them raw... I feel like my body craves them, but I hate the taste of them. How can I prepare them so they are a little more tasty?

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    guacamole! That's how I learned to like 'cados, and now I'm addicted. Add tomatos, onions, chiles if you like them, a little salt & lime; dip veggie sticks, or eat with a spoon. Yum!
    Also make sure you're getting quality fruit. Bad ones taste pretty bad. In the off season, or in some parts of the country, it can be difficult or expensive to find good avocados, but it's the only way to go.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Avocado-coconut popsicles: http://www.yumsugar.com/Avocado-Make...essert-3797490

I'd use 1/2 cup coconut cream instead of the cream + coconut milk, and stevia to taste instead of the sugar.

trobi is offline Member
    I've only had guacamole once, but it was way too salty and I never had it again. I guess I need to try to make it myself.

And I'm trying to stay away from sweet things and focus more on meat and veggies, so I'll probably avoid the popsicles.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    A couple meat/veggie possibilities that sort of hide the avocado:

Green gazpacho: http://stayingclosetohome.blogspot.c...self-cool.html
    Chicken and Radish Salad with Avocado Green Goddess Dressing: http://chocolateandzucchini.com/arch...s_dressing.php

elwyne is offline Senior Member
    Restaurant guacamole is a distant second to home made, and the storebought varieties are completely worthless.

Avocado dressing sounds wonderful!!!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i can eat avocados plain too, and be completely happy. if you have trouble with them a recipe like guacamole can certainly help you get a taste for them. so can adding them to things you may already be eating...like a salad or a burger or something. i can't imagine my daily salad not having an avocado sliced up in it...not just as an added flavor, but texture as well.
    also--and this is making me drool a little bit--i love to throw them on top of a juicy burger or piece of chicken with some jalapenos and a little cheese. there are so many foods that avocados pair well with. you don't have to eat them plain--or at all--if they make such an amazing addition to something that's already in front of you

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Add it to whatever your favorite foods are in small portions and build your way up. We put them in omelets, on burgers, guacamole, etc.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

LP30 is offline Junior Member
    How much avocado per day do you guys eat? I'm anywhere from 1/4 to a full one per day. Is it like bacon where there is no such thing as too much?

Robeil is offline Senior Member
    I know you don't want something sweet but I make a chocolate pudding with it..... one avocado, coconut milk, cream or some kind of liquid for smoothness, I've even used water. Add a couple of tablespoons of cocoa powsder... add Stevia for sweeness or orange juice works well too... Put in blender, blend till smooth... I haven't made it for a while but I think I will get some tonight...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast