Thread: how much running constitutes as chronic cardio page

Shazkar is offline Junior Member

I ask this because:

- I've been pretty out of shape for forever

- I don't think I've ever run a full mile without stopping once to walk

- Recently, while I have been trying some sprinting some days, I've been trying to run/walk around 3 miles and really hope to be able to get that to running the full 3 miles without having to walk...

Now, 3 miles doesn't seem like an exceedingly massive distance... and I've been told by sprinters, like, people who do sprinting for track, that you should at least be able to run a decently fast 1 mile before doing too much sprinting so you don't injure yourself...

So I was wondering if this really constitutes "chronic" cardio? It's never more than 30 minutes really (and thats with walking breaks included) and everything, and this is in addition to sprinting sometimes and lifting 3x a week... it's just, my endurance (especially my lungs... might have mild asthma according to doc) is terrible...

So is this a bad goal, my goal of trying to be able to run 3 miles without stopping? Or is this bad

wolverine is offline Junior Member

Shazkar, chronic cardio constitutes a continues cardio activity i.e running for 45 mins and above at a high heart rate so 3miles running and walking is perfectly primal

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I've kinda wondered about this too. I find running very enjoyable and if I don't limit myself will run several miles without stopping. Because I don't want to fall into the chronic cardio trap, I limit my actual running time to once a week, twice tops. It's kind of a bummer.

Mick Guest

[quote]

So is this a bad goal, my goal of trying to be able to run 3 miles without stopping? Or is this bad.</blockquote>

I&#39;m a little suspicious of goals myself.

There&#39;s a cultural habit in the West in modern times to do everything in a goal-driven manner. (To some extent, I think that simply is a human propensity, but it is particularly pronounced nowadays and in the West.) The problem with that is that by doing that you pay less attention to the means - which can impact on your chance of ever getting to that goaL The Zen people are very much against the mindset, and think it best to stay in the moment, not thinking about some distant goal nor dwelling on the past.

I&#39;d do what you enjoy (but in moderation, of course). If you like running, do it; if you don&#39;t and are flogging yourself just to hit an arbitrary number for time or distance, maybe don&#39;t.

Certainly longer distances at a slow place are what people who actually were "primal" did at times. I don&#39;t know that they did it very often, but they could and did. See "How Apaches Hunt Deer" from the New York Times, 22nd March 1885

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9507E0DD1030E433A25751C2A9659C94649FD 7CF

At the same time, no one nowadays need do this ever (unless all the shops close for good tomorrow); and we haven&#39;t been fed, bred, and trained from childhood to this.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I question the warning about needing to run a mile before you sprint. I never run because I can&#39;t stand it; I went straight to sprinting without injuring myself. I consider good glute and leg strength and hip and ankle mobility to be more important factors.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Oh, I&#39;d like to add one more thing: Two people from my boot-camp group have suffered achilles tendon injuries within the past six months while sprinting, and both of them (one male, one female) are chronic runners. Both of them were diagnosed as having over-use injuries by physical therapists.