Thread: 5k Training page

Krusty is offline Junior Member

5k Training

I am a semi-experienced runner (Half marathons last fall with some running since then) I am currently doing Crossfit 2-3 times a week, but I also want to compete in some 5k(s) this fall/winter season. I have about a month until the first 5k. I have researched plans online, but does anyone have a tried and true program they prefer?

Last summer I was training for half-marathon, but I did a 5k for fun in 23:08. My best half-marathon time is 1:45:09. These were both done in 40-50 degree temps., which I believe is ideal for me. I'm a big sweaty dude.

I would like to see my 5k time near :21-:22 in the next 6 months. No interest in further than 5k anymore.

I would prefer not to run more than 3 days a week. I hate running, but I like competing.

P.S. I don't have access to a track, but I do have a Garmin GPS watch
    Last edited by Krusty; 08-23-2010 at 06:14 AM.

SeanC is offline Member
    Try Run less, Run Faster http://www.amazon.com/Runners-World-...2566172&sr=8-1 The program is based of your current 5k time. 3 day a week program.

Also if you are doing crossfit, try crossfit Endurance : http://www.crossfitendurance.com/

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    My suggestion would be to just do primal blueprint exercise focused on your event - Do some sprint intervals a couple times a week, do one 5k per week a bit slower than you want, google the web for weight exercises for runners. Get plenty of rest. I used to belong to a very successful running club that recommended exactly that.

simplyryde is offline Member
    For a shorter distance like a 5k, those intervals, and strength training are going to pay off big. Also, check into your running style. I am currently working on the POSE method, and it has decreased my effort while increasing my speed.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyryde View Post
    For a shorter distance like a 5k, those intervals, and strength training are going to pay off big. Also, check into your running style. I am currently working on the POSE method, and it has decreased my effort while increasing my speed.
    Agreed. I thought I mastered walking/running about 65 years ago. Wrong. Before learning the correct way to run/walk (in my case mostly walk), elderly people in walkers would pass me. Women in their 8th month of pregnancy would blow past me.

I don't know much about the POSE method. From the tiny amount I have read, it seems good.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    I started running a few months ago (dread mill). I ran 5 days a week, usually 2.5-4 miles per day.

I ran a mix of steady days, and interval days. My pr treadmill was 26:30. Last month, I ran a 5k race, and my time was 24:47.

I am fat. You should do quite a bit better.

Edit: I run in vibrams. I will NEVER run in "real" shoes again.

SoleSurvivor is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you are going to only run 3 days a week, the workouts need to be significant. I would suggest you do a some shorter sprints say 4-6x400m close to race pace which for you is somewhere around 7:00/mile pace. Mix in some 800's on the second interval day. Slower but with a shorter recovery period. Rest as much as needed between intervals. One of your workouts needs to be a tempo workout. Maybe a 1 mile warm upi @ 9:00/mile followed by 3 miles @ a steady pace 7:45-8:00/mile. Concentrating on keeping an even pace followed by a mile cooldown @ 9:00/mile. These can be tough workouts, but they have to be if you only run 3 days a week.