Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transitioning to Primal Fitness page

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I think I'm doing ok with regards to Primal Nutrition. So now it's time to move on to Primal fitness. I used to be a cardio junkie before but ever since going primal, I've been going for only walks mostly. And I do some short work-outs with dumb bells (5 lb) and squats. I want to start doing some really Primal workouts. We already have a membership at a gym that the hub uses, so trying to get another membership at crossfit seems a little extravagant at this point (I would love to though). I'm thinking of investing in buying some kettle bells and such and work out at home. So, all ye Groks out there, what equipment, tools, DVDs, books do you recommend I buy so I can start doing some primal work outs at home? My budget is under $300 - if I decide to go with kettle bells, I think I'll pretty much use up all that amount.

void_provocateur Guest

P90X! Mark is on it talking about nutrition. Tony Horton puts the X in... well... whatever really tough thing you can think of that has an X in it. When I asked Mark if it was a good thing to try he said "There is nothing more primal than P90X"

I started this week, couldn't do everything, and didn't do all the workouts, but it was a test for me. I will be starting proper on monday.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do?code=MSN_SEMB_P90X&ef_id=1908:10:60916d92b fe5bf956b4f932b45a2f563_e_250902315_2623855848:Sn4 NXdBbriYAAC30eukAAADA:20090808234221

And you could probably find it cheaper elsewhere. It's been out for a while. (waaay less than $300)

void_provocateur Guest

It's at this website for $50: http://buyfitnessdvds.us/P90X/index.html

Thanks VP! I'm definitely going to buy this. I've read about it on other threads - didn't realize it was a home-workout DVD, I thought it was something like crossfit.

redforevergone Guest

The TRX at www.fitnessanywhere.com is a great piece of equipment and so is a kettlebell. The starter weight for kettlebells is 12kg (26 lbs) for a women and 16kg (35lbs) for a male. I use ones from www.lifelineusa.com. The ones you can buy at all of the sporting goods stores leave a little to be desired. There is a learning curve to using the kettlebell, but you can find a bunch of videos on youtube and purchase them at a number of places of which dragondoor.com is one. Look into them. I did P90X religiously for 21 weeks a couple of years ago, and although it helped me shed 20+ lbs and taught me a great deal about fitness the time commitment is too much. No less than an hour a day it is tough on the rest of your life. Plus looking back I feel you don't need to work that hard to get the desired results especially if you stick w/ the primal lifestyle.

Catalina is offline Member

maba, here's a video that looks pretty challenging (although she says you can tone it down), and uses no equipment whatsoever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUSep...e=channel_page

Thanks Catalina - that looks like a great workout. Given my fitness level, I doubt I'll be able to do the push-ups. But I'll start with the shuffle and the squats and work my way towards the rest.

SullynNH Guest

guys the cheaper versions of X are usually copied versions not put out by beachbody, they lack the guide and other material...BB is out to eliminate these pirated versions....it's not $300 but lists for ~$120....

primal can get results without a doubt!

DaveFish is offline Junior Member

I also recommend ordering P90X from BeachBody's website or from a BeachBody coach. Used or pirated copies never come with all the material.

You can also make some exercise equipment inexpensively. Look at Mark's blog entry on Slosh Tubes and sandbags. I built a slosh tube for about $30. I recommend starting with either a 2" or 3" pipe no more than 6 to 8' in length.

I also built a pull up bar for about $30 by getting the parts in the plumbing department at Home Depot. Do a web search for instructions and materials.

Finally an 8# sledgehammer and an old tire (you can get free from a tire shop) makes for a great primal workout for about $15. Men might want to get a 12# to 16# sledgehammer. I have a 16# and it wears you out. Do a YouTube search for examples of exercises you can do with a sledgehammer.

void_provocateur Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I had no idea those were pirated. I purchased mine from Beachbody. I just happened to come across a cheaper copy when shopping for something else. Gosh, you can't trust anyone online anymore.

Still however you get it, P90X is a great way to go. I also love the opportunity to build my own equipment around the house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast