Thread: Karahi Goat

Cool Karahi Goat

Shop Now
    This started as a recipe for Karahi Chicken, a popular street food in South Asia. They put the sauce over fried chicken, and it's really good. This is a Primal version, using goat, which needs long cooking to make it tender, and oh-so-good...

For the Goat:
    4 lbs Goat Leg (have the butcher cut it into 1/2" slices)
    2 Bay leaves (Turkish)
    1/2 a lemon
    1/2 tsp Turmeric
    Water to cover

Throw everything into a slow cooker; cook on "low" for 6-8 hours. The lemon cuts down on the 'goaty' smell.
    Remove from pot, let cool, reserve the wonderful stock. Pick the meat off the bones; while you're doing that, use a paring knife to remove all the little bits of marrow from the bones. Eat (Chef's perogative!) You can refrigerate the meat for a couple of days until you want to make the curry.

For the Curry Sauce:

6 T. Ghee
    2 Onions, finely chopped
    6 Garlic cloves, chopped
    2 fresh Green Chiles, chopped
    1 tsp. ground Cumin
    1 tsp. ground Coriander
    1/4 tsp. Turmeric
    1/4 tsp. Salt
    1/4 tsp. Garam Masala
    1 tsp. or more Ginger Root, chopped (I use a little more for Goat)
    8 oz. Tomatoes, pureed (you can use canned 'crushed' Tomatoes)
    3/8 c. reserved Goat Stock
    Large handful of Cilantro, coarsely chopped.

Heat the Ghee in a large pot. Fry onions, garlic and chiles until onions are caramelized (don't let them burn-keep stirring).
    Add spices, and stir Add ginger and pureed tomatoes and cook for a minute, stirring constantly. Add the stock, and cook for five more minutes, until the ghee surfaces.

Add goat meat, stir until meat is heated through. Garnish with Cilantro; serve with Cauliflower 'Rice'.

Awesome - there's a lady at my local farmers market that sells goat but I never had any idea what I would do with it if I bought it! Having never used it before, I was afraid I would screw it up without a recipe in mind.

Have fun, Marisa...goat is so delicious!!!
    Just always think, "low and slow" for the cooking

Also, if you can get a rack of ribs, and your slow cooker is big enough, you can do them that way, then finish on the grill or in the oven.
    Those are truly wonderful <3

On the topic of goat, what would you do with goats shoulder (that may have bone)?

The stuff is cheap but I have yet to find a good recipe for it.

Mmmm.

I would ask the butcher to cut it up into about 2" pieces with the band saw, brown the pieces in Ghee...then make a stew with onions, garlic and eggplant. Maybe a little tomato, cardamom and curry powder in there? Most people think it's cool to pick up the bones and suck the meat off.

At least in THIS house

ETA: maba has a metric ton of great recipes for goat, including one for Paaya, which is a soup made with goat shanks. She is the kitchen goddess.
    She's probably a little busy right now with baby stuff, but I'll bet if you search her posts, you'll find more good recipes.
    Last edited by kuno1chi; 08-22-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Learn More
    i'm the only one in my house that'll eat goat. so it's a reserved treat for eating out.
    Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!