Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex-Veg.. Now a Primal Newbie page

Lovelife is offline Junior Member

Talking Ex-Veg.. Now a Primal Newbie

Hey everyone!

I've been following PB now for 2 wks! Growing up I never had to worry about weight though I have always been a sugaraholic. I was lucky to be one of those naturally fit people.. I could always out pull-up all the girls and even some of the boys in school. I ended high school at 118 lbs (I'm a little under 5' 3"). I didn't start gaining any extra weight until I quit dance.. so around 18 I gained about 3-5 lbs. By 19 and 20 I was finally bothered by my weight at 125-130 lbs. Since then it has just been slowly creeping up. Growing up and until I was 22 I just ate whatever I wanted. I ate A LOT of candy, sweets, and drank insane amounts of pop. It never seemed to affect me from what I could tell. I became a vegetarian at 22.. then at 23 I became a vegan.. then went back to veg at 26. I was confused as to why my weight was slowly climbing even though I ate much better than I had growing up. I still ate crap though.. I definitely wasn't eating anywhere near a "healthy" vegetarian diet. I have always liked vegetables so I did eat quite a bit of that and often some tofu. But I have always been a snacker.. like almost constantly eating unless I'm working. I've always hated cooking though so I ate out almost all the time. I also was drinking around a 2ltr a day of pop. Funny enough I have always been very into nutrition and working out. I didn't always (usually) follow the things I learned, but I always new the (CW) answers. I love working out, but I never saw any difference in weight more than like a pound or two.. and I definitely get hungrier from working out. Besides changing to veg and vegan I never have dieted before this year. I always saw people doing them and never saw them work and I am naturally lazy and knew it would never work for me. I only change things that will be a lifestyle change. So, from all of this sugar my teeth are fucked finally. I hadn't been to the dentist in like 8 yrs and I went this year and they said I had 20 cavities! So because I am natural type of person I started researching how to possibly heal your teeth. I came upon Weston Prices stuff about a year ago, but kept looking because I didn't think meat was healthy. But I couldn't reconcile how healthy tribes had been with all of their meat eating.. yet all of the stuff I have read against animal product eating. Though I don't enjoy the killing of animals for food I have always felt that everyone should eat what is best for them/natural food sources. Finally 3 wks ago I found MDA and read through a lot of it in a wk.. I also started reading Good Calories, Bad Calories. It made sense to me and after reading that book I felt I had been lied to my entire life.. whether from CW or the Vegetarian side. So, I went Primal.

I have found it easier than I expected. I bought some meat (wanted to start with fish but I'm too poor) and started on 8/8/10. At the end of the first wk I was at a movie and I ate 2 french fries and half of a marshmallow filled cookie that my friends had ordered. I don't consider it "cheating" as that implies I'm doing something bad.. and I would like to get to the point where I can eat something made with grains on a very random occasion just because I'm like in Italy or something without it causing any kind of "relapse". I also did it as more of an experiment since I was shocked at how easy it had been for me. I then experienced my first "sugar rush" in my entire life. I finally knew what everyone was talking about.. I have always assumed that I must have never had one because of my constant intake of sugar. It was interesting for sure. So, other than that and the accidental wheat intake from some soy sauce (who knew wheat was in soy sauce!?) I have been completely Primal. I do eat dairy, but a whole lot less now that I can't eat cheese on crackers. Since the second day in I have pretty much stopped feeling the need to snack! I also finally think fruit is sweet again so that's cool. I often make a banana fried in butter for dessert/night snack.. YUM! I have been tracking my food so far.. but it is tedious and I will most likely stop after the first month.. I just wanted to see what my splits fall under for reference and to see if there are any trends I can see with weight loss and amount of c/p/f. I don't try to stay too low carb on purpose... so I end up somewhere around 30-70 carbs a day naturally. I am at my computer most of the time.. though I have been working out more often.. so my calories seem to be going lower and lower unless I workout. So far I have only lost about 5 lbs.. this wk has been much slower in weight loss.. and I'm not sure why. I haven't seemed to have any carb withdrawal symptoms so far which is nice. I wish I was losing weight faster though so I'm not sure what to do to get that or if this is about normal. I started at 164.3 lbs and my goal is 120 lbs.. then around there I'm more interested in being toned/defined than what my weight is. My gaol is to look something along the lines of Jessica Biel's body. (as we have the same body type)

Well if you got through that long story thanks for reading!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Former veg/vegan here as well.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Hi! Welcome. I did read through the entire thing.

First a heads up - next time split it into several paragraphs. Its hard to read 2 LONG paragraphs like that - but I still managed

Great story. I am super happy you have found MDA. There are tons of former veg's that go Primal and never look back. You seem to be one of those people. Keep doing what you are doing as you seem to be on the right path. The weight loss will come - just don't worry about too much and focus on eating primal foods. Listen to your body and only eat when you are hungry.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

yogadaily is offline Senior Member
    hello and welcome! i was also veg/vegan for the past 20 years and started primal 1 month ago. best shift i've ever made...i hope you find the same for yourself!

take care...=)

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogadaily View Post
    hello and welcome! i was also veg/vegan for the past 20 years and started primal 1 month ago. best shift i've ever made...i hope you find the same for yourself!

take care...=)

No way!! You did it?!?! I didn't know.... *hugs my irl friend*

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Thanx for the great welcome guys!

@Toad: Yeah sorry about that.. I thought about it, but I kinda lazed out. LOL Hopefully that will be me.. I would be happy to finally find the correct way to eat and not have it be too hard to keep up.

@Yoga: Wow! 20 yrs that is amazing.. I felt it was hard to swallow that I had been so wrong for 5.. that's really awesome that you found this too. I think what I'm most not looking forward to is the reaction from everyone who thought I was crazy to be veg and now they may act as if they are "vindicated".. also flak from other veg/vegans.. but hopefully it won't be too bad.

Also, I def noticed a difference right away in strength so that was interesting and fun too. I hoop dance and about a wk into Primal I was practicing and could do some tricks much easier than before. My wrists had been kind of wk as I also am trying to pole dance and I have been having issues with weak wrists. But now everything is much easier!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the Dark Side.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

yogadaily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovelife View Post
    T

@Yoga: Wow! 20 yrs that is amazing.. I felt it was hard to swallow that I had been so wrong for 5.. that's really awesome that you found this too. I think what I'm most not looking forward to is the reaction from everyone who thought I was crazy to be veg and now they may act as if they are "vindicated".. also flak from other veg/vegans.. but hopefully it won't be too bad.
    Yes, that is all a part of it! The humans are opinionated and everybody loves to tease a vegetarian! I do enjoy sharing my story of evolution to eating meat, tho, and get a lot of good laughs when I talk about my new love for cow...=)

Quote Originally Posted by yogadaily View Post
    Yes, that is all a part of it! The humans are opinionated and everybody loves to tease a vegetarian! I do enjoy sharing my story of evolution to eating meat, tho, and get a lot of good laughs when I talk about my new love for cow...=)
    Yeah so far it has been ok.. one friend was excited that I eat meat.. my parents seem ok, maybe somewhat amused.. I think they believe that not eating grains is crazier than when I stopped meat and dairy. Maybe that will even it out.. basically I just switched a food group.. LOL. Luckily I've convinced my roomie to go primal with me as originally I convinced her to be veg.. oops.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your food history sounds a lot like mine - never experiencing any kind of weight gain despite crappy eating till early twenties, never experiencing sugar reactions (I didn't have any till I was 28), going veg (I didn't on purpose, but b/c I refused to eat any fat that wasn't a part of a dessert, I ate very, very little meat)...

Welcome!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast