Page 29 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist page 29

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bone_machine View Post
    Hey, also: nice sig!
    Read that after I changed my sig. Laughed.

Hello, Fist! How's the wife? Nice sig.
    Like it. Might have it tattooed on my face.

I had the feeling that something in my brain wanted to get itself out and written down on something, so I splurged out some martial art related ramblings. Not Primal related, and written largely without conscious thought, but I liked it at the end so I'm posting it up. Might entertain for a minute or two

Quote Originally Posted by me, on Wifey's laptop
    The Halfway House

Martial art practice for a lot of people is about fun. This on its own I do not take issue with, I find it to be a great deal of fun as well. However, for some people I have encountered, this is where their commitment to Taekwon-Do begins and ends. If you are still a beginner, fair enough. But as you approach black belt level, you should have come to the realisation that either a) the commitment required to develop as a martial artist beyond that point is not for you, or b) martial art requires a lot more than just what is ‘fun’. It requires hours of what could politely be termed ‘drudgery’ – if you are a person who can ceaselessly enjoy every moment of practicing a pattern over and over again, or doing what feels like endless as-slow-as-possible side kick repetitions, then good for you, tell me the secret! I can’t put myself in that category. I would often much rather sit down with a whisky and watch an anime series than do another run-through of Choong Moo, correcting what I fell short on the last time. But doing that would make me a halfway house martial artist.

A halfway house martial artist is my term for the people who don’t immediately try to correct a mistake when someone points it out to them. The people who get through grading exams on the bare minimum requirements, and don’t bother training hard for them because they’ve seen other people get away with it, so why not? I don’t greatly dislike these people, but it is my belief that by the time you get near to black belt level it should be obvious to you that Taekwon-Do does not truly, deeply matter to you, if the preceding statements sound a little too familiar. And is it worth continuing to spend your finite lifetime on something that doesn’t matter? Stop wasting your time and find something that does.

If lots of focused – albeit tiresome, at times – repetitions and drills are the martial artist’s friend, then his enemies are his desires; by which I mean the immediate desires common to everyone, not this personal goals. Comfort and pain avoidance are probably the ‘big two’, and the main things stopping lots of people from training when their deeper will is urging them onwards. Other people can sometimes be added to this list as well – ‘why are you training? It’s late. Come and watch some telly.’ This is not to say we should be obsessives, neglecting our social lives entirely, but if watching TV for an hour beats training for an hour, every night, then perhaps you need a rethink.

This is the vaguely philosophical bit... any and all paths that you can take are the same. They lead exactly nowhere; there is no destination. At the end of your life you will be in the same place no matter what you choose, with regard to your ultimate fate, except you will be able to look back with either regret or satisfaction. So choose the path that truly matters to you, and you alone. You’ll put much more into it, it will give you greater happiness, and at the end of it all you can look back with a smile. And you might find it easier to get your ass off that sofa and do some more side kicks, as well.

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    Hahahaha I come in here after being absent a couple days and I walk into talking about decapitation.... nnniiiiicceeee LOLOL I wouldn't expect anything less from a ninja! LOL

Signature Approved by Mark Sisson

Beautiful post soundtrack

Quite right TFG. Death to all nails!

Moving on from all that murdering malarkey, it's 15:22 here in gloomy old England and I am just tucking into my first meal of the day. Somewhat predictably (if you've ever seen any of my other posts concerning food) it's a bowl of tuna and olive oil; yes, Waitrose have started stocking it again! Fiiiiiiiinally. They were probably just sick of having to rehire staff all the time - I have this thing where if they don't have my favourite food, I have to beat one of their workers to death. Some kind of OCD thing. Anyway.

Today was the first real fasted workout I've done, especially after a physically demanding day at work. I took 10g Xtend BCAA beforehand so it wasn't 100% fasted (as Martin Berkhan recommends) and I swear I went a bit tingly and re-energised to a degree, which was quite cool. However, it must be said that electric whisks do not fully dissolve the BCAA powder, and so my first experience of drinking it was pretty horrible. Need to get a funnel so I can bottle it and shake it to death.

DRAGON NINJA WORKOUT
    Wed 10th Nov 2010

Squats, 72kg x5 x3
    Overhead press, 43kg x5 x3
    Chins, x5 x3

Did you know that 43kg is about 10kg heavier than 42kg? What a wonderful world.

Wifey Fist got through the parents' evenings, but it off on a school trip today then going to an evening class (teaching related) tonight - the life of a teacher is never dull, you can say that for it!

You need a Waitrose!

I'm very angry with my new dip bar, even if I tighten it to ridiculous degrees it still slides down out of the doorframe when I put my weight on it. And I am far from the maximum stated user weight of 130kg. Grrrrowl. So I did some more chins instead, with my angry biceps.

I have also decided that I need to be eating a lot more veggies. I've been like a zombie at work, vastly out-energied by people on truly terrible diets, so I figure it might be that...

runnerbean is offline Member
    Bone Machine,
    Trader Joes has tuna in olive oil. So so good! Especially to top off a BAS.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    You didn't hit the nail on the head... you DECAPITATED it!
    +1000000
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    However, it must be said that electric whisks do not fully dissolve the BCAA powder, and so my first experience of drinking it was pretty horrible. Need to get a funnel so I can bottle it and shake it to death.
    /lurking. BCAA powder is pretty horrible, period, ha!

Page 29 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast