Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less fat for athletes? page

electrik87 is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Less fat for athletes?

Shop Now
    Question reguarding the diet for athletes who train for over an hour a day 5-6 days a week. I practice Brazilian jiujitsu as well as lift 3 days a week and incorporate sprints once a week (something I added after discovering pb) anyways because of my training schedule I need to consume postwork carbs to be able to get through the next days workout. I've even heard an interview with mark where he said you'll need to carbs if you train like this. Anyways besides the pwo carbs I try to adhere to pb eating. ( dropping grains has significantly helped digestion) however should i limit my fat intake because of the extra carbs?

SeanC is offline Member
    In my opinion no. You are using PWO carbs to replenish your glycogen stores because of the constant training. Limiting your fat intake WILL lessen your total caloric intake but fat helps lessen the insulin spike you will get from the extra carbs. Feed the Machine! Any of you PB'ers please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also I would recommend Sweet Potatoes and/or fruits as your carb of choice. Def. the lesser of all the carb evils.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Yes, my advice would be to keep your protein high and balance your fat vs carbs. So, if you're doing a carb re-feed (and I agree with Sean on the sweet potatoes and fruit) then cut your fat back a bit.

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    no way man, if anything up the fat to give yourself some extra calories. i train about the same amount (jits, muay thai, gym) and to avoid feeling underfed i always have to increase my fat intake. mash red potatoes for post workout, i feel the best after those. avoid quick carbs like dextrose/maltodextrin.

anyway, i guarantee you are already taking in less calories than you need. with that much activity plus working a job/living/etc we burn a shit load of calories. enter your activity into a cal calculator and you'll see. fats are the best way to get the calories in, with 9 cals per gram of fat. also, a lot of jiujitsu is done from 60%-80% intensity where your body is still oxidizing fat for its main energy source. anything after 80% or so you are using almost all carbs/glycogen.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I miss bjj and muay thai! I have nothing else to contribute...

electrik87 is offline Junior Member
    thanks for the tips guys ill try to add more fat in....im still trying to get over the fat intake, CW got me scared :P

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I'd add more and more fat and see if you can go with less and less carbs. It'll be a rough transition though. Your body is currently using carbs for the main source of fuel and you want to use fat instead. Eva (who I rarely see post here anymore) does a great deal of intensive sports and training and is 95% carnivorous.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    I only limit fat intake before athletic activities, and I do so because I find that eating it in the quantities that many on this forum do makes me feel sluggish and "off." However, I see no reason (in your situation) to limit fat in general.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

WPD5 is offline Junior Member
    I wrestled D1 in college and now train BJJ competitively and started crossfit about 7 months ago and am planning on competing in that as well after an injury is fully healed. I wasn't a PBer while wrestling in college so I have been experimenting with the best way to recover since I started PB about 5 months ago.

I do BJJ and CF 4-6 days a week. Typically a 2 hr BJJ session and then the CF is about 1-1:20 with warm up and extras at the end(stretching/inverted hang) Some days its BJJ in the AM others CF, generally I have about 6-8 hrs in between training sessions. I don't drop my fat intake at all as I need to keep my calories up, I feel that getting enough calories is my biggest problem. As far as added carbs I usually have a peach/plum and some berries following a workout. I also just started trying coconut water in the past few weeks and like it. I have the 10 oz size and it gets me 16g carbs 9g sugar, and also has a good bit of potassium. I find that that right after a workout along with some fruit in the 15-60 min after help me be ready later in the day. I use 30-35 g of whey protein right after workouts as well. Like someone else said the only thing you could experiment with is eating less fat right before a workout if that is making you nauseous during exercise, I had this problem in the first 4-6 weeks of PB but have no issues now and usually start my day with a high fat meal 1-2 hrs before my first training session.

Anyway I would stick to fruits and try out coco water, just be sure to get a good brand that doesn't use additives. And keep your fat intake the same but adjust the distribution among your meals if necessary. And if you are still having trouble recovering it is more likely because you aren't getting enough total calories from fats/protein and adding more carbs isnt the answer.

hope this helps, happy training

necoo is offline Junior Member
    I'd add more and more fat and see if you can go with less and less carbs. It'll be a rough transition though. Your body is currently using carbs for the main source of fuel and you want to use fat instead. Eva (who I rarely see post here anymore) does a great deal of intensive sports and training and is 95% carnivorous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast