Thread: Sugar: the Bitter Truth page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Sugar: the Bitter Truth

First Aired: 7/27/2009
    89 minutes

Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin. (#16717)

Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yup, that lecture was epic! Anything he does is epic, especially the underground wellness and livinlavidalowcarb interviews. Just by listening to him talk I can tell that he knows his stuff and indeed cares about the truth and good science.

My only dispute is that he is trying to pin obesity/metabolic syndrome/degenerative diseases all on or mostly on sugar when there are other factors that may be just as deadly. He has the observational studies and the biological mechanisms and a very strong case that sugar is terrible, but because sugar correlates so well with other egregious dietary habits he may be attributing too much of the etiology to sugar and missing the bigger picture.

But for what he has done to wake people up to their sugar habits he is phenomenal. He's also an entertaining speaker.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Jedi is offline Member

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like Alan Aragons take on it. Unfortunately people rarely take context or dosage into account.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...ient=firefox-a
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.