Thread: Epiphany page

AceQHounddog is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Last night I had a planned cheat meal. I have been primal for a few weeks, with a few minor 20% meals. But last night I took the kids to Mel's Diner.

I had a big hamburger, onion rings, a few fries, and some ice cream for dessert. The resulting pain, discomfort, digestive issues, and "toilet time" was horrible! It was so not worth the half hour of pleasure while eating it.

Primal is just SO much better

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Once you go Grok, you can never go bock

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

maba is offline Senior Member

LOL@ SS. You can never go bock indeed!

Brad, last weekend, I had some rice just before embarking on the challenge and my goodness, I've never felt so bloated before. And I've eaten rice all my life.

AceQHounddog is offline Junior Member

The cravings for these foods is all psychological. I really wanted them, but felt crappy eating them, and definitely felt crappy afterward. It's just so much easier and I feel better staying 100% primal, and yet I know that I will do this to myself again. I try and make my slip-ups as few and far between as possible, though.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

When this happens to me, I wonder if I'm actually more sensitive to these foods than I used to be, or if it's just that I used to be accustomed to feeling crappy all the time. Now that I know what it's like to feel really GOOD, I've become a wimp about digestive distress!

fritchbeetle is offline Junior Member

dragonmamma, I think it's a bit of both. Although I shock myself at how many times I need to learn this lessing.

Kryz is offline Junior Member

I've been thinking about this recently, and it's interesting that even though we feel bad after eating them, we'll eat them again. I'll feel like utter crap after eating X food, and then a week later I'm thinking of eating X again. You'd think that our natural instincts would take over and we'd realize X = pain...something tells me Grok wouldn't eat a bad mushroom after his first horrific experience with it, so why do we keep eating things that hurt us? Or am I wrong about Grok, and are people in general just really forgetful/slow learners/more about immediate satisfaction?

maba is offline Senior Member

Kryz, if Grok ate the mushroom when he was really young and all the members in his tribe told him it was good for him, even though it didn't agree with him, I'm sure he'd have been just like us too. We've been eating the wrong kind of stuff for many years and I guess it'll take time to unlearn.

grandma is offline Member

I think the human body is very adaptable. Your senses are able to tune out all sorts of background noise. And, it will continue to do so as the noise increases. It takes an absence of noise reset your senses sometimes.

I knew a girl in High School who came from an Italian family who celebrated their heritage with lots of "gravy" (tomato sauce). I ran into her several years later and she commented that she felt better than ever since she stopped eating tomato sauce. Turned out it didn't agree with her and she never knew something was wrong.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Hello Kitty is offline Junior Member

Your comment is truly an all-encompassing "Why primal wins". Just fill in the blank:
    [quote]

I had ______________. The resulting pain, discomfort, digestive issues, and "toilet time" was horrible! It was so not worth the half hour of pleasure while eating it.</blockquote>

Last week I went through this, only it was chocolate and way too many nuts. I think it was brought on by the stress of a move while keeping up my activity level while not eating enough and also planning for a long vacation.

In the old days it would have triggered a setback of unknown duration. With primal as a lifestyle though, the next day I simply picked up where I left off, because... all of those effects you described, just weren&#39;t worth it.