Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: grass fed pork? page

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member

Question grass fed pork?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    whats the pork equivalent of grass fed pork?

don't hear the term talked about because pigs are scavengers, whats the best kind to buy? thanks
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Pastured pork is ideal. It's been so long since I bought it in the store that I don't know if that's available anywhere (didn't used to be), but they do sometimes sell antibiotic-free, fwiw.

Pigs & chickens are usually the most crammed in & abused in the factory farming world.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Melody is offline Senior Member
    I get my meat from paidom.com. Their pork is as pastured as they can get it but they still have to supplement their diets. It's delicious! I love the raw uncured bacon.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Slankers (http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/) sells pastured pork. It's the best pork I've ever had, and, no, I get no kick backs from them. I'm just a fan with a freezer full of yummy pastured meat.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

aboutsaffron is offline Senior Member
    Go to your county fair & pick one up from a local 4-H kid. Of course, I might just be biased because I was one of those kids, but hey. We fed ours goat milk 2x day.
    And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
    Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

grokka is offline Senior Member
    I get forest fed pork. just got 2 pounds of pure fat to render lard! and bacon of course.
    forestfed.com I believe. They let them scavenge (or whatever you want to call it) in the forest. It is truly the best pork i've ever had.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Buy a gun and shoot your own wild pig.

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    I get my pork from a local farm, I know the owner, the pigs run free and scavage, but they are also supplemented with non-gmo feed. I am pretty comfortable with it. meat taste so much better than store bought.
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    I've just found out about a new free range pig farm in my area and after asking they told me that their piggies were fed grains, the family's fruit and veg scraps, milk from their jersey cows and eggs from the chickens. I would say most free range pig farms would have to feed them mostly grains and then supplemented with other things.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I get pork from local folks at our farmers market who raise Berkshire pigs (a very high quality breed). The animals are pastured and fed a high-quality diet (along with what they forage). This farmer gives them toys to play with to keep them active, ensures they have wallowing holes for hot weather, and does not dock their tails or clip their teeth. I have to say, happy, well-fed pigs definitely taste better!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast