Thread: Where to start? page

Anonymous Guest

Primal Fuel

These days, I'm not in that bad of shape. I still want to be in a lot better shape, but you've got to start somewhere. Today, @jpippenger asked on Twitter about how to get started. Obviously, there's any number of ways to do this. But, if you haven't worked out in awhile, or ever, it can be quite a daunting task in and of itself. There's plenty of online workouts available, but picking your way through them can be difficult.

A friend of mine had done both Power 90/P90 and was doing P90X. He recommended that I start with the Power 90 program (http://bit.ly/b7mCy). And I think that if you're just getting started, this is a good place for anyone. The program consists of 4 videos, 2 for phase 1-2 and 2 for phase 3-4. They're good all-around workouts, working your entire body.

For me, having a video that I could see how the lifts were supposed to be done was of great benefit. I also find following a video less intimidating and time consuming than going to a gym.

You'll need weight for P90 or P90x. Generally, there's two main categories for resistance - weights or resistance bands. As for weights, you can get two main varieties of them - fixed weight and adjustable weights. I'd recommend getting an adjustable set as you're going to get stronger if you stick with the program. Buying individual weights gets expensive and becomes difficult to store. I have these, and they're fairly inexpensive and adjustable: http://www.amazon.com/Pound-Dumbbell...6540345&sr=1-4 - the more expensive solution i to buy PowerBlocks, but they're more of an investment. I use both sets - it's faster to have a light set on the dumbbells for whatever lifts I need lighter weights for than to switch weights on the PowerBlocks.

Resistance bands are another alternative. You can find resistance bands in a variety of resistances and for some lifts they are easier to use than regular dumbbells. They're also less expensive. However, they are generally regarded as not giving quite as good a workout as an actual free weight.

Do people have other full workouts that include weights and cardio and have videos for them all? I don't think a 'pick your own' is particularly useful for beginners - so something that's more of a full-fledged program would be most beneficial here.

jpippenger Guest

Thanks for posting this Tim! I'm interested to hear from anyone that started exercising while they were extremely out of shape. What worked? What didn't?

erstad17 is offline Junior Member

I have been doing P90X for a year and tomorrow will start the P90X+. Prior to the program I was extremely out of shape. I purchased a pull-up bar for under $20 and also was able to purchase set of weights on Craigslist. I'm not one to visit a gym so the program was perfect for me and 6 other people have purchased the program after seeing the results I have been able to get.

preston is offline Junior Member

If we are talking serious.

There are plenty of Bodyweight Strenth Training and Bodyweight Circuit training excersises you can do.

I wouldn't spend money on weights and stuff if you don't have to.

Once you get too strong for your own bodyweight, thats when you would need extra stuff.

We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing.
    -George Bernard Shaw

tman Guest

I went from about 195 to about 155 doing interval type training outside on a child's play structure. I would do pull-ups, push-ups and dips, ladder style, then run about 200 yards, walk back, and do it over again for about three circuits. I also added in some jogging for a while-maybe 2-3 days a week, 2-3 miles. I only did the jogging for a few months as I hated it and it gets a little hot here in the Summer (Arizona). Really, you can easily make up any circuit-with body weight exercises, weights, short runs, sprints, etc. I now alternate regular weight training (squats, presses, rows, etc.) with machine circuit training. The key is to do the basics, do them fast, and keep the resistance challenging. Rest only when you need to and then go again-keep it up for 30 to 45 minutes, maybe three days per week, and do nice brisks walks on the other days. That's it-not complicated at all-no special videos, and it can all be done with very basic equipment (even a child's play structure). They real hard part, when you get it going, is to not over do it. Anyway, I hope that is helpful to someone.

joewheelz is offline Junior Member
    J. I did P90X. I weighed 260 when I started and hadn't worked out in many years. It was the best investment I have ever made. At the end of my 90 days I was 220 and felt amazing. At that point I was taken off my medications for diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Since that time I have also completed Insanity and Asylum and have now lost a total of 80 pounds. My journey started on Jan. 10 2011. Not too bad for 8 months of work. I wish I would have known then about the Primal Blueprint. Glad I do now.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I don't personally know anyone who has been able to finish P90X. It's a hard program- at least an hour a day, six days a week. Most people burn out because it is too much to handle. It's a LOT of time, and it's very hard on the body.

Read the Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book. The program looks like this:
    Move slowly: Walk, or something similar for 3 or more hours per week.
    Sprint occasionally: Once a week, as hard as you can, for 4-8 sprints of up to 20 or 30 seconds. Less is okay too.
    Lift heavy things: 2-3 times a week, do squats, pushups, pullups, and other exercises. If you can't, or don't know how to start, read the e-book for more details.

A lot easier, and great results.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    I don't personally know anyone who has been able to finish P90X. It's a hard program- at least an hour a day, six days a week. Most people burn out because it is too much to handle. It's a LOT of time, and it's very hard on the body.

Read the Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book. The program looks like this:
    Move slowly: Walk, or something similar for 3 or more hours per week.
    Sprint occasionally: Once a week, as hard as you can, for 4-8 sprints of up to 20 or 30 seconds. Less is okay too.
    Lift heavy things: 2-3 times a week, do squats, pushups, pullups, and other exercises. If you can't, or don't know how to start, read the e-book for more details.

A lot easier, and great results.

True, sometimes I find myself reading about programs and my brain goes crazy. Then I bring it back to primal fitness and am reminded of the very simple guidelines it provides, and that the whole point of being primal is avoiding complicated programs.

So, at the end of the day, you gotta squat.