Thread: Bumping up O3s without fish oil? (It gives me monster zits!) page

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member

Bumping up O3s without fish oil? (It gives me monster zits!)

Primal Fuel
    I am extremely prone to acne, and all fish oil makes me break out in hive-like zits, even the good stuff. Is there anything else I can take to ensure a good O3/O6 ratio that isn't ridiculously expensive (*cough*krill oil*cough*)? I try to eat a tin of sardines or 3-4 oz. of canned wild salmon a day, but I'm not sure if that's enough because I also eat quite a few cashews.

jimpag is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried taking the fish oil with enzymes?

EDIT: Also try to cut out the cashews, really terrible when it comes to Omega3/6 ratio.
    Last edited by jimpag; 08-21-2010 at 10:52 AM.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure it's the fish oil? Like, you're fine w/o it, and then the only change you make is the fish oil, and suddenly acne is back?

How high quality? Quality is everything. I buy fermented cod liver oil from Green Pastures, which *looks* expensive ($35/bottle), but isn't, b/c a serving is just 1/2 tsp / day. It's actually cheaper than store brands I've compared it to, per serving, and far more efficacious b/c of the quality.

Grassfed beef is nearly as high in omega 3 as fish (so I read in Prevention magazine, of all places!), and too bad the USDA won't let you have brains, king of omega 3!

Lowering omega 6 is just as important as raising omega 3, as you already know. Work on both sides of the ratio.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

primal dream is offline Junior Member
    I am way past acne age-wise, but I remember clearly many years ago getting huge zits from cashews.
    Perhaps it's not the fish oil?

QuirkyPixy is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    @ jimpag: I haven't tried that, but I have taken enzymes for digestive issues before with little effect. Why would it help with the fish oil? I was taking only one pill per day, so I don't think my body had trouble digesting such a small amount.

@ MamaGrok: I break out constantly with or without fish oil, but a few days after I pop a fish oil pill I break out with zits that are way worse than what I deal with normally. These zits continue forming until I stop the supplementation. The same thing happens to my dad, only he can tolerate a low dose of fish oil without breaking out. Higher doses give him cysts. I've tried Carson's Fish and Cod Liver Oils, as well as a more expensive brand (can't remember the name). Are there other brands you would recommend? I'm wary of cod liver oil because of the Vitamin A, so I'm really looking for a regular fish oil (or, better, an alternative way to raise the levels).

@ primal dream: It's not the cashews because I got those zits while taking fish oil before I went paleo and started eating cashews. I'm gonna switch over to macadamias though and see if that helps (better omega ratio, apparently).

Thank you everyone for your help! I'm new to this diet, and although I've been eating well for several months now I'm still kind of struggling to put all the pieces together.
    Last edited by QuirkyPixy; 08-23-2010 at 03:18 PM.