Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin Puree page

marktripp is offline Senior Member

Pumpkin Puree

Primal Fuel
    Hey fellow PB'ers this is kind of a silly question. Is pumpkin puree just steamed pumkin blended to a baby food consistency? Or is it raw and blended?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it is already cooked. Whether it's steamed or cooked in some other manner, I don't know.

When buying, make sure you get 100% Canned Pumpkin, NOT Pumpkin Pie mix, which has sugar and a bunch of other stuff in it.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    So yeah over the past few days I've eaten 10 or so cans of pumpkin. Seriously... it's something like 30 carbs and 150 calories for a whole can? It's like the greatest thing ever because just about anything I threw in there tasted awesome. I stay at the 75 - 130 range for carb intake so it fits in perfectly.

Basically I just wanted to come into your thread and talk about how goddamn amazing canned pumpkin is and that I wish I had known about it a long time ago.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Love canned pumpkin, def one of my staples.

I go on occasional canned pumpkin binges. I'll have it everyday for a few months, then I don't touch it again for ages.

Actually, I do that with lots of foods.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    I go on occasional canned pumpkin binges. I'll have it everyday for a few months, then I don't touch it again for ages.

Actually, I do that with lots of foods.
    Me too, I'm a serial monogamist with foods

marktripp is offline Senior Member
    I was asking because I think when the pumpkins are harvested this year I'm going to buy some and freeze them. It is only out in my area seasonally, so I'm just going to make my own.

Maybe you should learn how to can? I'm toying with the idea of learning that this year, either from videos on the internet or else looking for a local class.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I cook and freeze a bunch of sugar pumpkins each fall. I freeze them in 2 cup portions in freezer bags. The flat bags stack nicely in the freezer and the pumpkin freezes well for a long time.

I bake the pumpkins rather than steam or boil because it is easier and more important, the dry heat gets rid of a lot of the excess moisture. I mash some of the pumpkin for a coarser texture to use as a veggie and run some through a ricer for a finer texture for baking.

Fern is offline Senior Member
    I went to a canning class and they said that pumpkin is hard to can so I am afraid to try it, but I am curious if you can just thaw and eat the pumpkins that you bake and freeze? Or do you have to warm them up again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast