Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to eat more fruit? page

Question Do I need to eat more fruit?

Shop Now
    I have been 100% primal for a week now. I have been feeling great all the way up until yesterday when I decided to eat less fruit at meals and more greens instead. Well yesterday as well as today I did not have the energy that I did all week. The only thing I changed was the fact that I decided to eat more raw greens and less fruit. I cut out fruit all together. Could I be feeling bad because of not enough carbs? I feel tired and lightheaded.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    If you enjoy fruit and it causes you no noticeable harm, then you should keep your diet. I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist or anything, but I believe that there is little reason to fear fruit unless you're eating massive quantities in addition to significant amounts of fat and protein.

RogerDeRok is offline Member
    I've noticed that when I eat fruit, it affects my weight loss negatively. The first year or so primal it wasn' really a problem, but when it got to the last 20-30 pounds i needed to lose, I couldn't get rid of it until I'd take long breaks from fruit.

mikeha is offline Junior Member
    No.

It's not the fruit, it's not the carbs. There's plenty people here eating no fruit at all (like me). I have tons of energy, even after a day of fasting. It's something else, maybe lack of sleep, stress.. or if you're new to the diet, then it could be the low carb-flu. Should go away in a couple weeks.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    missprimal,

How much fruit were you eating at first? If it was a lot, then perhaps your body has not had the opportunity to switch over to fat-burning for energy, yet.

I was eating an apple in the morning, snack on a few strawberries and then a green smoothie with two eggs for another meal. Ofcouse I would have some meat inbetween.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    I consume fruit regularly, and use it prior to workouts as an energy boost.

So...based upon my personal experience...I would say that this could be a reason for the drop in your energy levels.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missprimaldiva View Post
    I have been 100% primal for a week now. I have been feeling great all the way up until yesterday when I decided to eat less fruit at meals and more greens instead. Well yesterday as well as today I did not have the energy that I did all week. The only thing I changed was the fact that I decided to eat more raw greens and less fruit. I cut out fruit all together. Could I be feeling bad because of not enough carbs? I feel tired and lightheaded.
    I think anything any of us could say could only be a guess, because there's nothing to tell us the amounts here.

Also, I agree with post 4, where the poster says that it could be something else, such as sleep.

I don't believe there's any need for anyone to cut out fruit completely - after all, it's a good and readily available source of some nutrients. And why ignore the fact that most of it tastes good? However, I think it is something to go easy on. As you perhaps know, fruit sugar - fructose - is somewhat problematic in a way even other carbohydrates aren't:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

I think one can work on the basis that fruit juice is probably best avoided most of the time, because it's just too concentrated. As for fruit itself, I'd guess eating something like between one and three small servings a day and tending to prefer fruits that are not too over-bred and sugary, should be fine.

It's probably better not to over-complicate and over-medicalize eating, so rough rules of thumb are probably best. But if you want to quantify it more you can plug your foods into Fitday for a week and see how many grams of carbohydrate you're taking in compared to Mark's Carbohydrate Curve suggestions:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...ate-continuum/

If you're below 100 g of carbohydrate a day, or even at 100-150 g a day, there's no problem. Some 75 g of blueberries - a good big handful - would only be around eleven grams of carbs; half a grapefruit, around 13 g. That's more than, say, salad greens, but hardly exorbitant.

If you're eating enough in calorific terms, getting moderate protein, and an adequate amount of "good" fats, as well, then your food's on track in macronutrient terms and any tiredness that results from adaptation should just go away. But you probably don't need to check numbers on such things - eating the right foods till you feel you've had enough should do the trick.

sebzzz is offline Member
    Probably simply the carb-flu, the body becoming fat adapted and used to deal with fat as a source of energy.

It should go away pretty soon.
    Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

fidelity is offline Junior Member
    My energy SUCKED because I wasn't eating enough carbs. Just saying...blaming everything on the carb flu is equivalent to raw food vegans dumping their problems as "detoxing effects". Let's stop this nonsense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast