Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need to eat more fruit? page 2

sebzzz is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
    My energy SUCKED because I wasn't eating enough carbs. Just saying...blaming everything on the carb flu is equivalent to raw food vegans blaming their lack of energy due to detox. Let's stop this nonsense.
    No need to get angry. The thing is, it makes no sense not to be able to go without carbs for a while. You would die very quickly in the wild. Of course, you might have some genetic predispositions or a specific condition that I'm not aware of, but for a healthy person there is no reason low carb should be a problem.
    Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

fidelity is offline Junior Member
    I am not angry just expressing my passion and hoping to let people know that low carb isn't the panacea its made out to be. We aren't machines, we need different ratio's of macro-nutrients everyday which depends on our stress levels, amount of activity, etc. If you are weight training to gain mass for example, low carb is inferior to moderate levels of carbs and starches for reaching your goals. This is coming from the scope of someone who had severe adrenal fatigue however.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    How about we just say that everyone is a little different?
    I haven't had adrenal fatigue like you have, but I AM in recovery from severe metabolic syndrome.
    Our needs are different, right?

For me, too many carbs SUCKS, but you do well on them. I really think there's a lot of room within the PB for everyone to find their sweet spot

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kuno1chi View Post
    How about we just say that everyone is a little different?
    I haven't had adrenal fatigue like you have, but I AM in recovery from severe metabolic syndrome.
    Our needs are different, right?

For me, too many carbs SUCKS, but you do well on them. I really think there's a lot of room within the PB for everyone to find their sweet spot
    Finally, a sensible post.

Yes there is less than (0.1%) one tenth of one percent genetic difference between us as human individuals but that is sufficient to allow us to be different enough to have different skin, hair, and eye colors, to have different body shape and size, to respond differently to various environmental stimuli such as sunshine, and yes even carb intake.

To say that everyone needs carbs just because they do is just myopic in thinking that everyone reacts the same. That is no different than the vegans saying that because we are so similar to apes we should eat like gorillas do. Let's stop this nonsense.
    Last edited by Asturian; 08-26-2010 at 05:00 AM.
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Melantha is offline Senior Member
    One thing, which is kinda simple, and has not as much to do with the whole carbs/no carbs debate is have you tried just eating more food, without changing what you are eating? It could just be that you were getting more food energy from the food you were eating when you ate more fruit, and you're not getting as much food energy when you switch over to focus on foods without the added boost of sugar. I mean, an apple seems like a lot less food than 3 cups of raw kale, but they have roughly the same calorie count.

In other words, if you're feeling out of fuel, just add more fuel, don't change the type necessarily.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I agree always with we're all different. When you post a question about an issue you're having, you're going to get a lot of different responses coming from people for whom different things have worked. This is a GOOD thing. It allows you to see the possibilities and choose and/or try on different styles until you find the one that fits your body. Different points of view and experience = more options from which to select.

When you do posta question, a quick review of a typical "day of eating" for you, with calories and fat/carb/protein ratios (if you do that sort of thing) is super helpful for people who are trying to help. I couldn't really tell what the OP's complete diet is... it could just be she's not getting enough total calories at all, so the fruit was powering her and without that, she's not getting enough fuel (like Melantha suggested). But that's just a guess...

I do have adrenal fatigue, and am hypothyroid, and have borderline insulin resistance. I personally do better on lower carbs (definitely below 75 and I aim for about 50), and if I feel the need to add carbs I'll do a sweet potato once in a while.

Fruit gives me major sugar crashes and flips out my system. For me, it's just like eating candy, and I feel about as crappy afterward (after the initial sugar burst is gone). I know some people do well with some fruit, but my guess is that they don't have insulin issues (or not very severe ones). So an option might be to try to eliminate fruit for a bit, to see if anything changes. If you take it out for a few weeks then add it back in and have no issues, then you know fruit's okay for you. Elimination diets can be a drag, but really they're the only way to see exactly how a particular food is working within your own system. In the end that's all that matters.
    Last edited by Minxxa; 08-26-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: forgot something...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Cook dem greens. Greens contain oxalates which block nutrient absorption and nutrients are all locked up in the cellulose. A big heap of steamed spinach and tomatoes covered in olive oil and balsamic vinegar? mmm. That is the prescription for very low carb potassium. But who knows, maybe you would do better with more carbs. Yams and sweet potatoes are better than fruit
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

TigerJ is offline Senior Member
    Another possibility - greens don't contain a lot of calories, and unless you cook them in liberal amounts of fat there might not have been enough fat to burn. Protein and greens alone without extra fat might work a while for someone fat adapted AND trying to lean out; but if you have only been primal for a week I'd say probably just up the fats to keep your energy on an even keel. Then if leaning out is your goal you can do that later as your body becomes more used to burning fat.

Anyway, +100 on the 'all different' bit. It seems that people who have been overweight for a while, had too many carbs, metabolic syndrome, etc, do well on lower carb; but there are plenty of people (me for one) who do better on higher carb. You have to experiment. I think it is worthwhile to track for a while on something like daily burn to see how the macros are working out. If you have roughly 60% fat, 25% protein and 15% for a week do you feel good? If not try 40-55% fat, rest split between carb and protein and see if that works.

I posted this on another thread but it's worth repeating. Paleo does NOT necessarily mean low carb. Here's the proof.

http://www.mattmetzgar.com/matt_metz...gatherers.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12