Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's official--I have osteoarthritis page

pellegrina is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

So I just came from the rheumatologist, because even though I'm still relatively young (46), I have pretty severe pain in my hands and feet, especially after a waitressing shift. I never take anything for it, I just deal, but I thought it was important to rule out rheumatoid, which is a whole 'nother animal.

I've met some arrogant doctors in my time but this guy takes the cake. He basically blew off everything I said after I told him I didn't want to take daily doses of acetaminophen every day for the rest of my life. He wants me to take 4000 mg a day! I can feel my liver cowering in fear as I type. No WAY am I doing that. When I told him I didn't want meds, he asked, "Then why are you here?"

I asked if he knew of any patients who had successfully alleviated their systems with diet, and he said no, diet has absolutely no effect, and anyone who says otherwise is a quack. He said glucosamine supplements have no effect either.

He basically told me there's nothing I can do, and that it's only going to get worse, especially if I keep waiting tables. He said when it gets really bad I can come in for injections for temporary relief.

People, I am NOT ending up with a walker. I am NOT going out like that. Does anyone here have arthritis and have any tips on exercise or natural ways of alleviating the pain? I've read that tai chi might help.

By the way, I'm thin, fit, and look about 10 years younger than I am--unless you take a close look at my hands, which are already deformed and crooked.

maba is offline Senior Member

Pellegrina, I feel for you. But it's good that you decided to adopt the Primal lifestyle just in time. Hopefully the diet will cure what that arrogant Dr.'s medication will never do. I empathize with you because my mum is a statin user and though she doesn't have arthiritis, has joint aches too and I feel so helpless seeing her go through all those medications that don't offer any relief. And the physician in my family, ok I'm finally saying it, is too arrogant to listen to me.

Have you considered seeing a Naturopath? They try to cure ailments by letting the body heal on its own and with dietary changes.

jostle is offline Senior Member

This site actually has a lot of good home remedies for arthritis, http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com...Arthritis.html . Maybe one of the juice remedies will help to reduce the arthritis.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

In my opinion, the most crucial part of the primal blueprint for you to follow is the NO GRAINS rule. If you're gonna cheat, do it with fruit, or dairy, or chocolate, but not with grains! I think that's the most inflammatory part of a non-primal diet.

I do not have arthritis, but I do have a few old injuries, and the only time they bug me is when I have a fling with grains.

The only suggestion I have for exercise is to avoid hard surfaces whenever possible. Do what you're doing on top of a good exercise mat, whether it be pushups or jumprope or stretching.

Catalina is offline Member

Sorry to hear that, but going Primal is a great start to reversing it. Check out any of Mark's articles on inflammation and Omega 3 supplements, and you might want to be particularly careful about staying away from the nightshades (eggplant, tomato, potato, peppers) and see how that makes you feel.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Pellegrina, according to Wikipedia:
    [quote]

</"Up to 60% of OA cases are thought to result from genetic factors. Researchers are also investigating the possibility of allergies, infections, or fungi as a cause.</blockquote>

Other possible underlying causes of OA:
    [quote]

# Diabetes.

# Inflammatory diseases (such as Perthes&#39; disease), (Lyme disease), and all chronic forms of arthritis (e.g. costochondritis, gout, and rheumatoid arthritis). In gout, uric acid crystals cause the cartilage to degenerate at a faster pace.

# Injury to joints, as a result of an accident.

# A joint infection, e.g. from an injury.

# Hormonal disorders.

# Ligamentous deterioration or instability may be a factor.

# Obesity. Obesity puts added weight on the joints, especially the knees.

# Sports injuries, or similar injuries from exercise or work. Certain sports, such as running or football, put undue pressure on the knee joints. Injuries resulting in broken ligaments can lead to instability of the joint and over time to wear on the cartilage and eventually osteoarthritis.

# Pregnancy

# Alkaptonuria

# Hemochromatosis and Wilson&#39;s disease
    </blockquote>

In your position, I would go 100% *Paleo* (not Primal). This is theoretically the best possible diet anyone can have, so if your condition can be reverted by changes in your diet, Paleo would be the way to go.

Best of lucks.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

pellegrina is offline Junior Member

Wow, it was so great to come back and see so many replies already! This forum is great--probably the friendliest and most helpful I&#39;ve ever been on. Thanks for the great advice, you guys.

Since I started the challenge on Monday I haven&#39;t had a single grain (and haven&#39;t really missed them). Wait--I did have a beer. That counts as a grain, doesn&#39;t it? Red wine, here I come.

I eat a lot of tomatoes and peppers, though. I never even heard about the possible problems with nightshades until I started reading this forum. I think I&#39;ll wait a couple weeks and see if cutting out grains helps, and if not--as much as it will kill me to give up my beloved Jersey tomatoes--I&#39;ll get rid of the nightshades, too.

I saved that natural remedies link, and I&#39;ll check back through Mark&#39;s archives for those articles. Thanks again!

Helen Guest

I also have arthritis in my feet and they used to hurt 24/7. At times I could not get a good night&#39;s sleep because of the pain. I was desparate and intrigued enough to try what my personal trainer suggested. He suggested I try Eating Right For My Blood Type. I am B postivie. After 5 days of switching to eating for my blood type, I was able to sleep without pain. My foot pain is slowly getting better.

I am doing the 30 day challenge here, but with the foods that I can eat for my blood type. I had to give up eating chicken, tomatoes, avocadoes, coconut and cinnamon,among other foods.

I also have to watch my fruit intake. I try and limit my fruits to 2 or 3 a day.

tinfoilgrrl Guest

I&#39;ve heard good things about turmeric for pain/inflammation:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1910028,00.html

http://www.blog.sethroberts.net/2009...bout-turmeric/

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Helen, as far as I know, there is no solid evidence whatsoever supporting the blood type diet.

Some research does suggest that nightshades are linked to arthritis though. If Primal doesn&#39;t work for you you could try going Paleo as well.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast