Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought sardines--now what do I do with them? page

jqbancroft is offline Senior Member

I bought sardines--now what do I do with them?

Primal Fuel
    My mom says I loved sardines as a baby/kid before told me they were gross. I don't think I've ever tried them since--but I would like to brave the waters and....dip my toes in

I bought Sardines in olive oil at the grocery store, how do I eat them? I'll try one by itself just to know the full flavor of what I'm eating, but do you have any other suggestions for breaking into them?

Thanks guys

furious.silverback is offline Junior Member
    sprinkle with salt..smash with fork and eat....

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I just tried them a few weeks ago for the first time! I just put some spicy brown mustard on them and ate 'em with a fork. I really like them!
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Thanks guys! Did you heat them up or eat them straight out of the can type thing?

furious.silverback is offline Junior Member
    Straight out of the can...even toss em on a salad with some olive oil and balsamic..

Evita is offline Senior Member
    Yea put them in a salad...awesome! And some flavor always helps too. I've also tried pan frying them with breading...seems silly but it was good
    I just bought a case of them on amazon that come packaged in mustard....mmm delish! Once you start getting in to it with a brand and flavor you like, you can eat them strait from the can if necessary.
    I've been tweaking and experimenting with my protein/fat sources in the last few months and also found body composition wise and even weight, I notice a big difference when I stick to most my fat and protein be ing fatty fish , olive oil etc as opposed to beef/pork/etc. Probably b/c when I do get a steak Its not always grass fed all natural blah blah blah, making it a less desirable for my body. so sardines are very economical too!
    Last edited by Evita; 08-20-2010 at 01:13 PM.

soniayak is offline Member
    I like the sardines pakced in hot sauce.... yummmmmmm. Sometimes I cut them up over cauli rice and put some lemon juice a sliced tomatoes with it.

pantrybites is offline Member
    Spread on almond bread with salt and dash of tabasco sauce

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

I tried a little bit straight out of the can and I can't imagine eating them in anything where they would be the dominant flavor I need something to dilute that intense fishy flavor. I think a salad might be ok--I'll try that.

Also--do you seriously eat the crumbly/mushy bones? My husband said you did, and I can see why since they're so soft, but it totally grossed me out! I saw some labeled "deboned" at the store, but I don't know if there's a nutritional benefit to consuming the bones.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    If the bones gross you out, you might want to give kippers a try.
    They're smoked fillets of herring.

Mmmmmm....tasty. Tara Tootie turned me on to them...where has SHE been???

*runs to find TT*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast