Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hempmilk and Almond Breeze page

Agnieszka Guest

Shop Now

Does anyone see any red flags in unsweetened hempmilk and Almond Breeze?

They seem fine to me, but I may be missing something.

While the occasional servings of whole fat Greek yogurt and heavy whipping cream would have to be pried from my dead hands, I'm trying to phase out of milk. Hempmilk and Almond Breeze seem like wonderful alternatives.

Unsweetened Original Hempmilk has 1 gram of carbs, 6 grams of fat and 1 of protein per serving. It's made of hemp nut base (filtered water, hemp nut, natural flavors (potential problem?), tricalcium phosphate, carrageenan, sea salt, vitamin a palmitate, vitamin D2, riboflavin, and vitamin b12.

Unsweetened Chocolate Almond Breeze offers 3 grams of carbs, 3.5 of fat, and 2 of protein per serving. It has purified water, almonds, cocoa (dutch process), tapioca starch, calcium carbonate, sea salt, potassium citrate, natural flavor (as in...?), carrageenan, soy lecithin, vitamin a palmitate, vitamin d2 and d-alpha-tocopherol (natural vitamin e).

primalmom is offline Member

I would be interested too - I use the Almond Breeze and was curious about that "natural flavor" ????

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

jostle is offline Senior Member

You could make your own almond milk and be confident what it contains. I've made this recipe before and it turned out good.

http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/almondmilk.html

A quicker method is to just throw the almonds into a blender with water if you don't want to wait for them to soak. Also, the almond pulp leftover can be put into a food processor to make almond flour for bread recipes.

maba is offline Senior Member

Carageenan has deterred me from trying Almond Milk. They seem to add it to Cream too.

Agnieszka Guest

Hmm... Thanks for the word of caution, Maba.

Thanks jostle for the recipe. I'll have to try that.

umuhk Guest

Some of the "red flags" that go up for me are
    <ul>[*]carrageenan -- processed from seaweed via alkalinisation[*]tapioca starch -- processed from cassava, one of those "can&#39;t eat it unless it&#39;s processed" foods[*]potassium citrate -- produced by reacting potassium with citric acid[*]soy lecithin -- extracted from soybean oil via a chemical degumming process[/list]

My personal rule of thumb is "don&#39;t eat it unless I could prepare it in my own kitchen".

Making "milk" from nuts or seeds is usually as simple as "blend &#39;em with water". You can add flavouring, or strain out the fiber, or whatever you&#39;d like.

Agnieszka Guest

Hmm... again. And sigh... I was finding these milks very convenient. Of the two though, it appears hempmilk is less potentially harmful.

marika Guest

I tried the Unsweetened Original Hempmilk, I enjoyed the taste and texture but had a strange effect from it (really sore nipples!). Hempseeds must have some kind of plant hormone or something...very weird. I get strange symptoms as well when I have soy (menstrual-type cramps). Maybe I&#39;m just very sensitive to plant hormones, but anyway just wanted to give you a heads-up in case you might be sensitive like me.

marika Guest

P.S. I agree with Jostle above, it&#39;s very easy to make almond milk. I used a soymilk maker and it worked great. Only thing is, I don&#39;t think it contains much nutrients or anything, it&#39;s just something different to drink besides water. It got to be a hassle though so now I just drink water.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

Sometimes I put hemp milk in my smoothies because it tastes so darn good! Don&#39;t know if it&#39;s primal or not, so I just consider it part of my 10-20% non-compliance eating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast