Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blood Pressure page 3

alexa85 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    i've always had low blood pressure as well. mine is either lower or the same. last time i took it was 96/53 HR 60
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member
    Wow. Well, I'm only 16 and I had mine checked out a week ago at my physical. I was at about 120 something over 50 something ...

Is that normal for my age? Also, how is blood pressure lowered?

cemdev is offline Senior Member
    100/65 - checked today. every which way I look this way of eating blows me away.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Took my BP yesterday. 190/100 or there about. I hate looking at it.

Starting taking magnesium pills.

I need help.

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post

I need help.

That is way too high. You are destroying your kidneys and over-stressing your cardiovascular system. You are placing yourself at very high risk for a stroke. You need to get in to see a doctor who will most likely put you on BP meds (and you should insist on an ARB type med).
    “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Chiro View Post
    Sodium-Sensitivity is a bit of a CW myth and very rare but it is a quick test at the doc so have it done next time you go in for blood work/physical.
    What kind of test will test for this? Do I just ask for a "sodium sensitivity" test?

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you need a sodium sensitivity test, just assume you are sensitive. Processed, pre-seasoned foods are the enemy. All of them, bacon sausage, prepared, pre-seasoned meats, canned goods, tomato sauce, etc... Also, get plenty of potassium rich foods. The Doc will likely recommend the DASH diet, which is going to be low fat and have grains; if you want to pre-empt that, you need to take the steps yourself.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I do tend to snack a lot however. I will always go for food which I don't have to cook because I'm lazy, I hate cooking, I'm no good at cooking, and I don't know how to cook, and the food I cook tastes bad. I like snacking on Lara Bars and Greek yogurt. Had some olives last week, until I noticed that 1 single olive has tons of sodium. I eat out at least once a week, but I try to be as primal as possible. I will also buy a cooked chicken or pre-seasoned meat at the store because I don't know how to do it myself. I've also stopped with the grain fed meat because it's way too expensive. And I never eat organic fruits/vegetables. Also way too expensive.
    BP meds & increased doctor visits are a lot more expensive over the long haul, not to mention the permanent damage you could do.

If salt is an issue, it's the processed kind that is pure sodium chloride (table salt or fake table salt). I didn't know how to cook ANYthing when I got married 13 years ago, but have taught myself - and if I had known then what I know now about what to eat, it would have taken a lot less time! You can learn just a few things that are so delicious and so easy you won't be able to stand not cooking then. And then maybe consider going grassfed/organic, but those are other health issues for addressing down the road.

Pay the grocer now, or the doctor later, the saying goes.

Would you like one simple & really hearty comfort food recipe?
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

john b is offline Junior Member

I need help.
    check ur pm's

Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    Would you like one simple & really hearty comfort food recipe?
    Took another reading today. My first number was over 200. I had a portabella mushroom with sweet sausage prepared by the butcher last night. I must by hyper-sensitive to sodium. No more bacon for me. Looking into a portable BP monitor so I can take multiple readings throughout the day.

Sure, I'd like a recipe. However I know so little about cooking I've never roasted or broiled a steak in my life. I don't even know what it means to broil something or how to do it. I usually just put my steaks on a frying pan and heat until brown.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast