Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the best coconut milk? page

canuk_caveman is offline Member

the best coconut milk?

Shop Now
    so i'm trying out this primal thing and want to get some good coconut milk. i've noticed that on various brands each seem to list coconut milk as the first ingredient with a % in brackets followed by water as the second ingredient. ex. coconut milk (60%), water, etc.

what % of coconut milk should i be looking for? i've seen values ranging from 40-60 and also 1 can labeled as "coconut cream" which seemed to have identical ingredients as the others but had a coconut milk % of 80?

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of Thai Kitchen - although I ordered a 12pack via some place on Amazon and there were chunks of coconut in it. Normally it's really smooth, but I must have received a bunk batch.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Biona and Dunn's River are excellent, Blue Dragon and KTC pretty dire.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barryman9000 View Post
    I'm a big fan of Thai Kitchen - although I ordered a 12pack via some place on Amazon and there were chunks of coconut in it. Normally it's really smooth, but I must have received a bunk batch.
    I've had this happen multiple times now. Normally they break up when I stir it, but sometimes the milk can be really chunky (especially in the organic)

grokka is offline Senior Member
    native forest is the only brand without bpa, so that's what I get

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    native forest

thai kitchen has bpa in the cans
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

canuk_caveman is offline Member
    thanks for the brand recommendations. anyone know what the deal is with the coconut milk %? is there a minimum i should look for?

pfair143 is offline Member
    Would you believe that I found some today called, I believe, Seven Moons in the Asian section with the ingredients listed as: Water, coconut extract 38%. That's it! But all is okay because the word "Natural" was on the front label. Well, water is natural but the product is supposed to be coconut milk for goodness sake.
    Sorry I didn't answer your question but I would go with the coconut cream as long as it wasn't loaded with sugar and other nasties.

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    I just found a new kind labeled coconut cream rather than coconut milk for the first time. Brand is Savoy, product of Thailand. It has coconut milk 70% with water and a lot cheaper than Thai Kitchen or Native Forest (yes, not organic however). I refrigerated it before opening, and it was as thick as the Thai Kitchen brand, very similar in taste and texture. I find most of the cheaper brands are pretty watery, though they mostly don't have a % on the ingredient list. It was really good, I'll likely buy it again when I'm not getting the organic stuff.

Sweet Tart is offline Member
    I love the Savoy coconut cream! It's very creamy and delicious. But I only use it as a back up when my local Asian market is out of Aroy-D which has no preservatives and is packaged in a six-pack of small boxes. All the other brands seem to have preservatives and if I'm going to ingest the preservatives, I might as well get the good stuff. I'm too cheap to spring for the Thai Kitchen brand which isn't carried at the Asian market and is $$ at the regular supermarket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast