Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hog farmer goes vegan after getting cancer page

shemdogg is offline Senior Member

Hog farmer goes vegan after getting cancer

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    So after successful cancer treatment, he feels better and more energetic than he did with the cancer... and gives the credit to a lack of meat (as opposed to a lack of cancer or the lack of sugar, which was also discussed)? Uh, OK. Heh.

Funny how she talks about "real foods" but that doesn't include meat.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Why must you piss in my beautiful vegan-idiocy free oasis? Hrmf and grr.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    So after successful cancer treatment, he feels better and more energetic than he did with the cancer... and gives the credit to a lack of meat (as opposed to a lack of cancer or the lack of sugar, which was also discussed)? Uh, OK. Heh.
    I've come to think that vegetarianism is primarily a form of decadence. It has nothing to do with the long ages of our evolutionary past, and it doesn't occur in small-scale societies. It's basically a late-emerging phenomenon among mostly urban people who don't really understand the nature of life and have all the prig's instinct for finding immorality in that which is essentially innocent. Why make such a thing of a fact that an animal will die? All beings do. Dying only seems problematic to us because we're self-conscious beings. Daisy the cow doesn't stand in a field chewing the cud, thinking about "me, Daisy, my plans for the future, and my fear of ceasing to be this individual, Daisy".

It's probably a not-fully-conscious worry about their own demise that spooks vegetarians - that at a bottom, despite their rather disconnected and ultra-safe contemporary environment, such people fear their own deaths even more than most humans have. (Perhaps, secondarily, the thought of the biological world itself with its dirt and its fecundity is disturbing to inhabitants of over-sterile concrete and plastic environments.)

Earlier societies not only lived closer to the natural world, they had ways of coping with death, too. They had beliefs that made sense of it for them. Some of them even had quaint notions, such as that honour was more important than life. Sometimes death hardly seemed terrible to them:

"... there around me lie my comrades, dead as stones. I trained for war with them, learned the secrets of the hunt with them and bounced their children on my knee. How will I return to my village without them?"

"Why would I want to? Come and finish this sport. I am for you."
    http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Le...-Cheyenne.html

It's the sheer unreality of these people that's so striking. Notice how their blog has a photograph of a chick on it. Why are there chicks in the world? There are chicks because people keep cocks and hens. If the role these creatures play in the domestic economy, as providers of eggs and as fowls for the pot, should disappear from the scene, the chicks would also vanish from the farmyard - if there even were anything like a farmyard left.
    Last edited by Lewis; 08-22-2010 at 10:12 AM.

Aeneas is offline Junior Member
    The full article is here: http://www.wickedlocal.com/rockport/...attling-cancer

The main article speaks more about cutting back on sugar and grains than on meat, but the journalists spin is towards veganism. Honestly, when reading the article, I didn't see how much his philosophy is terribly different from the primal plan we espouse. The gentleman in question is getting his protein and fat from nuts and his Omegas from dark leafy greens. He's just not consuming meat.

I have a bigger issue with the "health coach" wife who links the meat consumption to acidic body and inflammation when the culprits are the grains themselves. The article reads more as an advertisement for her health coach services which come from some for-profit distance learning program with little (AFAIK) academic accreditation.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    There is a lot about vegetarianism that is not appealing to me. However, many people who had cancer and were given short times remaining to live experienced complete remission after taking up macrobiotics, which is a vegetarian lifestyle. That is not the only cure for cancer, but it beats anything found in holistic medicine.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I'll give them that. But one has to wonder if the grains and beans would be better replaced with coconut milk and beef fat smoothies.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
    The full article is here: http://www.wickedlocal.com/rockport/...attling-cancer
    I have a bigger issue with the "health coach" wife who links the meat consumption to acidic body and inflammation when the culprits are the grains themselves.
    Never mind the "acidic body and inflammation" which is called upon but never demonstrated. The man himself reveals much by what he says incidentally:

Fred Leman said within 10 days of starting the new diet, his craving for candy, cookies and ice cream was gone.
    Later on sodas and processed foods are mentioned.

As for grains, I'd agree that they are perhaps best avoided. But the empirical fact is that there have been healthy populations that consumed them regularly, albeit only unrefined, properly prepared, and as a part of an overall balanced diet that was rich in important nutrients such as fat-soluble vitamins. Whether they have a place in the Paleo ideology of not is an irrelevance. The question here is not which ideology but where truth lies. The man, by his own testimony, was a sugar-junkie. That would seem to have been his problem.

Basically the man was treating his stomach like a dustbin, now, confronted with the fear of death, he's eating like a neurotic.

primal pete is offline Senior Member
    Yea, eliminating refined sugars and processed fats entirely would make anyone feel way better and healthier, vegan or not. Though the vegan diet is far from optimal...it's sadly still better than the standard American diet. sigh.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post
    Yea, eliminating refined sugars and processed fats entirely would make anyone feel way better and healthier, vegan or not. Though the vegan diet is far from optimal...it's sadly still better than the standard American diet. sigh.
    Agreed -- and eliminating cancer makes people feel better too! Heheh...

RE: vegan, I suppose it's better than SAD if they replace all the non-vegan foods with fruits and vegetables... maybe not if they replace it with grain, grain, grain, pasta, tofu, and grain (which is what most vegans and vegetarians I know actually do. I know one vegetarian who claims she "hates vegetables". Great...)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast