Thread: Our "pop a pill" society page

texas.grok is offline Senior Member

Our "pop a pill" society

Primal Fuel
    The first article is out of Canada. It advises that if you are dumped then a Tylenol may help you (rather than just dealing with it).

From the article:

In two experiments researchers found that taking acetaminophen relieved social pain
    Social pain? Give me a freaking break!

Full article: http://www.healthzone.ca/health/mind...take-a-tylenol

On the same day I come across this article:

Drugs don't work: Top professor claims five in six new medicines have 'little benefit' to patients

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz0x8dUE4cb

From the article:

Drug companies have been accused of conning the public by hyping up patented medicines with little new to offer while downplaying their potentially harmful side-effects.

A new study estimates that 85 per cent of new drugs offer few if any new benefits while having the potential to cause serious harm due to toxicity or misuse.
    Even people that think that prescription medications may be bad for you think that if it is sold over-the-counter (OTC) are okay.

Medicate our bodies, medicate our moods, medicate our "social pains". Where does it all end?
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    It won't end. Drug companies are such a huge part of our economy, and contribute so much money to political candidates that this won't stop anytime soon. It's sad what we've become in our "capitalist" society. I am not knocking our freedoms, and I fully support choice and free markets. However, it can be abused, and the end result is the average citizens are the ones that pay for it, financially or otherwise.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    My general practitioner loves to prescribe. I usually leave with an RX I have no intention of ever filling.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I don't like prescriptions either unless I really need them and I don't care for painkillers. Only the living get to feel pain.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    Only the living get to feel pain.
    Nice.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Well, we're a society that likes to sue over every little risk. You mean you could have prescribed me a pill that would make my risk of cancer 1/10000 instead of 1/50000? I got cancer! I'm gonna sue!

As a society, we're not willing to accept that life, you know, has *risk.* It's inherent. Instead, we always want to blame someone.

I agree, we should have much higher standards for benefit from medications. But those who don't want the prescriptions are in the minority.

kitana is offline Senior Member
    My GP actually asks me straight out if I need any prescriptions. I honestly think she'd write one out for just about whatever I asked for and that scares me more than a bit.

Just4ME is offline Senior Member
    I became a victim of this between all of my illness', my doctors, and from older family members. At one point (years ago) I had an arthritis doctor that helped me become addicted to darvocet. I was taking more than 120 per month!

I've stopped all but thyroid medication (had thyroid removed). The older I get and more I research and change my lifestyle (most importantly, PB lifestyle); the less respect I have for doctors and the less inclined I am to 'medicate'.

texas.grok is offline Senior Member
    I had knee surgery last year, just a simple in and out thing (this was before I discovered VFF and going barefoot). Before they released me the doctor wrote me a prescription for 40 Vicodin! 40? Really? I took one that night and that was it except for ibuprofen. No wonder there are likely more "legal" drug addicts in the US than illegal.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/