Thread: Primal French? Pork rillettes page

beenbean is offline Member

Primal French? Pork rillettes

Primal Fuel
    These are delicious, if a bit labor-intensive. The benefits: they keep a long time (refrigerated . . . I'm not up on shelf-preserving meats), and they'd make great primal gifts when packed into nice jars.

Not my recipe by any means, but I loved the results from this:

Pork rillettes recipe

When I first made these, I was eating wheat, so spread them on homemade sourdough sprouted grain bread, and they were wonderful. I'd love to hear ideas for more primal delivery systems . . .

ETA: Just cracked open a six-month old jar: much more mellow and luscious than when first-packed. These rillettes really are like meat jam, thick and fatty and flavorful. Probably good spread on crisp celery. Though I'm tempted to indulge in a one-minute-muffin as a once-in-a-while vehicle.
    Last edited by beenbean; 08-19-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: ETA

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Looks a nice recipe! I love rillettes - tried several recipes and all of them seem to work just fine! I like the idea in this one of letting the mixer do the "shredding". It presumably makes for a very smooth texture?

beenbean is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I like the idea in this one of letting the mixer do the "shredding". It presumably makes for a very smooth texture?
    It does, indeed. I have a KitchenAid, but really, I think any mixer would do the job (it's not like kneading a heavy whole grain dough . . . not that I do that anymore). I thought I might up the herbs & spices a bit, and maybe add a splash more wine next time I make this recipe. You might like to do so the first time around. It is rich and fatty and meaty, but just a bit bland for my taste.

If you try it, breadsauce, let me know how it works for you!