Thread: Need help with cheese "crackers" page

Roo
    Roo is offline Member

Need help with cheese "crackers"

Shop Now
    I wanted something other than veggies to dip in guac, so I made cheese "crackers" today by slicing the cheese thin and baking it til it was crispy. They were extremely greasy (I know, I know, fat is good) and had lots of air bubbles that had caused holes in them to give them a lacey texture. They tasted good, but not strong enough to scoop guac, and too greasy to really be finger food. Did I use the wrong kind of cheese? (Used pastured local cheddar.) Not bake them long enough? Not slice them thick enough? How do you deal with the greasiness?

Ta!

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Parmesan works perfectly.

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    I use a variety a brick cheeses and them slice them to the thickness I prefer (not too thick, but not really thin either). I have never baked them though. I put the slices on parchment paper and microwave until they crisp.

MJinLV is offline Senior Member
    I like the texture of the chips better when I grate the cheese first. They seem to come out more crispy than if I use the slices.
    Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJinLV View Post
    I like the texture of the chips better when I grate the cheese first. They seem to come out more crispy than if I use the slices.
    I've found this too, and a blend of parm and cheddar works awesome! I also sprinkle dried chives and a bit of garlic powder on them, and sometimes cayenne powder for kick! Mmmmmm I haven't made these in ages I think I'll have to for an upcomming party!

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I tried this yesterday to make taco shells and it worked awesome with shredded cheese.

furious.silverback is offline Junior Member
    I think I read somewhere on the this board about taking a slice of chedder and sticking it in between some parchment paper and then putting it in the microwave for a little bit..supposed to come out like a cracker or slice of bread?

Bane is offline Senior Member
    I fry square slices in a pan, usually 9 together to make a big square. Fry it slowly until it's firm, pat the oil off, and cut it into slices before it crisps right up. Super good snack dipped in salsa and sour cream!

jengatron is offline Junior Member

Roo
    Roo is offline Member
    Thanks everyone! Great video -- love the idea of shaping them to make little taco shells or meatball tarts. And Alton's were lacey also, so I guess that is how they are supposed to be. Now I will pat off the oil when they are warm too.

I made some with grated cheddar tonight (same cheese) and I thought they didn't get quite as crisp as the squares were. Guess I will have to buy some parm.