Thread: Junk food-addicted rats chose to starve themselves rather than eat healthy food page

shemdogg is offline Senior Member

Junk food-addicted rats chose to starve themselves rather than eat healthy food

Primal Fuel
    Junk food-addicted rats chose to starve themselves rather than eat healthy food

http://www.naturalnews.com/029382_junk_food_rats.html

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    What else is new? Oh, wait, sorry. The story is about actual rats.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Pretty crazy.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Actual paper, from Nature Neuroscience: http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/...l/nn.2519.html

Awesome article - thanks for posting this. Junk food is really powerful stuff. The day after they took the junk food away, the rats who had nearly-unlimited access ate about 20% of what the untreated rats normally eat in a day. That's a pretty serious difference.

Another cool part: rats that had access to the junk food for only 1 hour ended up taking in about 40% of their daily calories during that hour. It's like they went hungry throughout the day so they could binge once the junk came around. I've been that rat before. =P

"Reward deficits in overweight rats may reflect counteradaptive decreases in the baseline sensitivity of brain reward circuits to oppose their overstimulation by palatable food." This is why it can be so hard for people to retrain themselves to eat REAL food... but once we do, some of the fake crap becomes unpleasant. (I nearly gagged the last time I tasted Jif creamy peanut butter. Doesn't even taste edible!)
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Well there's a good marketing target.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I'm want Mirrorball's opinion on this.

I think the starvation is interesting. It didn't say they starved to death. It says they refused to eat for two weeks. I'm assuming they eventually decided to endure the healthy rat chow and not starve to death. There could be a lesson in there for helping people overcome their food addictions. Fast, go cold turkey, don't ease into a new lifestyle one idea at a time, completely change your ways, and heal, get over it, move forward. The hard way is the easy way. Something like that. Or maybe not.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i know some people like that LOL!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    I'm want Mirrorball's opinion on this.

I think the starvation is interesting. It didn't say they starved to death. It says they refused to eat for two weeks. I'm assuming they eventually decided to endure the healthy rat chow and not starve to death. There could be a lesson in there for helping people overcome their food addictions. Fast, go cold turkey, don't ease into a new lifestyle one idea at a time, completely change your ways, and heal, get over it, move forward. The hard way is the easy way. Something like that. Or maybe not.
    The day after it was taken away, they ate about 20% as many calories as the "normal" untreated rats ate. 2 weeks out they were still eating only about 60% of normal.... but then again, they were obese by that point, so maybe it was just their brain trying to bring them back to a normal body weight. They don't say a whole lot about it, because it really wasn't the focus of their paper.

(If anyone wants to read the paper but doesn't have access to that journal, I can send you a PDF, just PM me.)
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    And strangely one of the rats never would touch the junk food and instead wanted expensive French cuisine. His name was Ratatouille. I don't need to read the study, I saw the movie.

Cristy is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    seeing this first hand with my type 2 diabetic, insulin dependent grandmother. she is in a rehab center after a stroke and refuses to eat anything but crackers, ice cream, cake, and cookies. literally throws vegetables and meat across the room when i try to get her to eat them.