Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F*$# Cancer - I will not be a statistic page

Karma is offline Senior Member

F*$# Cancer - I will not be a statistic

Primal Fuel
    Life is too precious to end early. My mom fought off Breast Cancer 16 years ago only to have it return two weeks ago in her blood, floating around her body looking for a place to set up shop. And the list goes on. Paternal Grandmother died of Bone Cancer, Maternal Grandmother from Stomach Cancer, Great Aunt from Lymphoma, Aunt from Breast Cancer, 9 of my grandfather's 11 siblings died of one form of cancer or another. My dad has had surgery for Melanoma as well as for prostate cancer. My brother and I have both had multiple skin cancer surgeries for basal cell carcinoma. I have to end this cycle here and now, I don't want to die of anything but old age.

I am the king of "last supper's". I can't remember how many time I have said, "OK, this time I'm going to pig out, but never again", only to end up back at the same place stuffing my face with all the wrong foods until I need a wheel barrel to cart my ass out of there.

11 weeks ago I raced an Xterra MTB triathlon and my knee hurt pretty bad afterwards. Long story short, my knee surgery for a loose flap of catriledge went pretty well but the recovery has taken FOREVER. My dream of qualifying for The Western States 100 mile run have been dashed (for now) and all I can do is hope to be able to run again soon. Heck, just walking without a limp would be progress right now. I did get back on my bike today but I am very weak.

I am a candidate for Level II USA Triathlon coach certification that is coming up in October. I am embarrassed to be seen with my "metabolic syndrom" AKA "beer" gut in a swimsuit at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs if I am selected to particiapte. Class is in 8 weeks, I want to be more fit and ready to strip to my jammers with confidence by then. I may not kmake it all the way to my goal by then, I am a realist, but it sure would be nice to make a big dent in my goal by then.

I bought a copy of the primal blueprint about 8 months ago, read it, and set it aside. I have been very busy with life lately and didn't think I had time for the primal shift. Now I know I need to make time. The last jump on the Tinita Body Composition Scale (this morning) was SCARY:

height: 5'8"
    Weight: 163.6lb
    Body Fat %: 27.2
    Muscle Mass: 113.6lb
    Metabolic Age: 50
    Viceral Fat rating: 10

MY 20 week goal is:

Weight: 140lb
    Body Fat %: 15% or less.
    Metabolic Age: At least my actual age (42 by then)

Here's to making a positive life change.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Hugs. Good luck fighting off that **** cancer.

Um, maybe you should not push yourself so hard right now? Have you read Mark's accounts of pushing himself too hard? Just saying.

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    You are at the right place, the right time and making the right decision..... good goals..... keep with them, stay on track and remember that this forum and your journal will open you up to a very wonderful and supportive community of fellow Grokkers...... we are behind you 1001%

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!! Good for you for taking the time to make a change -- I also found this WOE due to cancer fears (in my case, I had a C-Reactive Protein test of 12.5, and that level of underlying inflammation is a huge risk factor for cancer) ... I don't know if it is helping yet (been doing it 5 months) but I FEEL soooooo much better and many of my other little ailments are going away so I think this is the right way

Just got back from a weekend with my entire family, and I mean ENTIRE family. We had 33 people from four generations running around my parent's property. Forgot to mention to Mom that I had gone primal so she had Lasagna, garlic bread and a salad on tap for dinner. She was feeling rather tired from having her chemotherapy port installed and a drain in her lung installed on Friday so I sent her upstairs to relax and took over the kitchen. I put the lasagna in the oven and went to work on a salad that would basically feed me for the next two days. Dark Leafy greens, scallions, carots, mushrooms, snap peas, bean sprouts, shaved almonds, kiwis and strawberries. The funiest part was the running commentary from my Aunt (dad's sister) as I made the salad. She was commenting on all the ingredients and wondering when I was going to be done adding new one's. We got on the subject of food and she was extolling the CW against my choice of two to three eggs a day because of the high cholesterol and a lot of nuts because they are "so high in bad fat". At least we didn't talk about politics because I was outnumbered 3:1 by two "birthers" (my parents who learn everything they know about politics from Pat O'reily and Glen Beck) and an old school Reganite. Dinner went well, nobody noticed I didn't touch the garlic bread ( a former huge vice) or the lasagna. Unfortunately mom didn't eat much either. This was to become a worrisome pattern all weekend. Saturday was the family picnic. It was not the perfect primal feast, but it sure was better than most picnics. I settled in at the helm of the BBQ and cooked up 4 tri-tip steaks, a dozen chicken thighs and 10 or so breasts for everyone. Lots of fruit salads and meat dishes arrived and before long I had a plate filled with primal "style" foods (not organic of free range but it was better than nothing. I did break down and have four beers throughout the 6 hours of grazing and talking with releative I hardly ever see.

Exercise is going slowly, I am only 8 weeks post surgery on my knee for a loose flap of cartiledge. It will pick up soon, my knee still buckles on me for no reason from time to time and it pops when I go up staris with too much weight on it for now. I am walking the dogs a lot more now and have hit the pool and the lake in the past week. Slow and steady she goes.

Leaving for Canada in three days to cheer for my wife who is competing at Ironman. Then it's back to the folks house for Labor day to spend more quality time with mom. This weekend I learned the doctors are giving her a 40-50% chance of surviving the 6 months of chemotherapy that starts the Tuesday after Labor Day. First weekly weigh in is tommorow too. Wish me success!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin D could change everything for your mom.

And for you.

grassrootshealth.net
    vitamindcouncil.org

see my sig line's d doc.

Wishing you the very best

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

debwat is offline Junior Member
    Just recovering from surgery for breast cancer, treatment plan still to be decided, probably chemo and radiotherapy so reading all I can on diet and what I should or should not eat to support my body through this and for the future. I have read that cancer doesn't like an alkaline environment and can't seem to find any info if the the primal diet is more alkaline than acidic. Take Vit D and eat a healthy diet although I must say it probably has been a bit grain heavy in the past. Would be interested in any thoughts or experiences people have.

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    Keeping good thoughts out for you and sending big Grok hugs and support your way!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    There is some evidence showing that a ketogenic diet is absolutely beneficial in this case. I'll see if I can find the info I had on this.

Remember, a biologically appropriate diet is always the best one. Always. The Primal Blueprint is biologically appropriate.

See grassrootshealth.net (D Action study) for information about the reduction in breast cancer recurrence with optimal levels of vitamin d. Be sure to maintain your D levels around the middle of the reference range per LabCorp or ZRT....65 ng/mL.

Katherine

The Vitamin D Thread

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

PrimalCon New York
    Home from Ironman Canada where I did pretty well until race day and hung out with old friends and ate a bunch of pizza and drank far too many beers. My wife had a tough day out there in the wind and rain. When you are up at 4:00AM and don't get to sleep until 1:00AM the next day, your mind is not as powerful to control your urges for comfort foods (pizza and beer for me). I decided to just let it ride rather than beat myself up, knowing I would be traveling home soon I let myself have some bad food choices until I was back on US soil. My house sitter left beers in the fridge and that will be my test. Can I leave them there, nice and cold and ready to drink while it is 90 degrees outside? Or will they suck me in? I have decided to leave them there as a test. My birthday ios September 19th so I will leave them until then and have one as a birthday present. As a former brewer and cetrified beer judge, this is the hardest part of going primal. I so enjoy a cold beer on a hot day.

Update: Very little weight loss while on vacation, not too surprising. BF% is down another % though. Mom had her first Chemo session last Thursday, went OK but she said it burns from the inside.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast