Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F*$# Cancer - I will not be a statistic page 3

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Oh, we got her on D3 right away. My wife is a holistic nutritionist and set her up with the finest medical grade vit D3 she could get. Also got her on folate and b-complex. I think that's why she is still feeling like she has energy to do stuff around the house. Most people in round 6 of chemo are in bed 50% of the day.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    congratulations on passing your tests! that is really wonderful!

i'm also sorry to hear about where your mom is with chemo, but hopefully the whole situation will sort itself out soon.

Update after a long break.

Mom is doing OK, not great though. She went through 6 rounds of Chemo and the taxol has started to give her peripheral neuropothy (tingling in her fingers and toes), a sign that it is beginning to damage nerve endings. So they have to stop the taxol treatments now. Her blood cancer markers are low but still elevated so they are going to just monitor them for now to see if they remain low. Not too many options for treatment beyond holistic support for her immune system. As much as it saddens me to say it, she would rather face death than change her way of life radically. My wife and I have both tried to be supportive and share our ideas on how to support her health with limited success. At least she is now taking a Vitamin D supplement and probiotics, but cutting out grains, dairy and legumes is something she is not willing to accept as a potentially positive move. She is so steeped in conventional wisdom it will kill her. Last week was her birthday. I sent her a copy of "The Paleo Solution" with a hand written forward by me, asking her to read it with an open mind and just try it for 30 days. She should receive it very soon, I hope it does not go into the garage sale pile without a read.

My world is moving right along. I have filed for my LLC registration with the Sate of CA ($800 later) and my web site for my coaching business is still in development too. I have picked up two more coaching clients and now have four. Three of the four are on board with Primal/Paleo training and the fourth is trying but failing miserably when he travels for work. He has all the tools to be successful but uses travel as an excuse. I have decided to market my business model as a paleo athlete training specialty. There are not many out there specifically geared toward primal/paleo triathletes and I think I can make it work. My favorite client to work with is a kid (26 yrs old) who did the Whole30 challenge back in January and is now 100% on board. It will be a very interesting year for us as he is training for TWO Ironman Triathlons in June and November. So far we are seeing some good progress and he's doing everything I ask of him with regard to diet while training. His biggest issue is sleep quantity and quality.

My wife is away this weekend in Santa Monica at the USA Triathlon training class to become a Level 1 coach. She is also a level 2 USA cycling coach like me. Eventually she will take over as the operations manager of our business, Dreamcatcher Fitness, so I can focus on just the coaching side of the business. I am keeping my day job for now because it pays the mortgage and gives up top notch medical coverage we could not otherwise afford. I dream of the day I can retire and coach full time. Hopefully the primal/paleo movement will offer me that chance soon.

Speaking of day jobs, there goes my blackberry, gotta go!

Dave

I just dug this tread out for a little catharsis/therapy. We have gathered as a family this weekend to say goodbye to mom. She is on day 17 of hospice and we expect she will pass from this life sometime in the next 24 hours or so. Reliving a lot of memories this weekend, times of joy with reality in the background all the time. Been a rather poor excuse for a man lately so I hope this week with family discussing what really matters in life will take hold and allow me to express myself and my feelings I have for the people I love that have been supressed for a long time. Trying to preech less and act more in the coming days, hoping it will aid in my healing from this loss and motivate me to change more things in my life for the better.

Give your loved ones a hug and a kiss next time you see them. TELL THEM YOU LOVE THEM for me.

Cheers,

Dave
    Last edited by Karma; 10-03-2011 at 09:32 PM.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i'm so sorry you and your family have my condolences
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i also extend my condolences to your family during this transitional time.

Mom passed away in front of me last night. She is finally at rest and out of pain after a 13 month battle. I will honor her by trying my best to be the man she raised me to be, asking her for guidance when I need it. The first thing to tackle is the out of control eating and drinking I have been doing since she got really sick about two months ago. I didn't just fall off the wagon, I drove it off a cliff. So today I recommit myself to clean living and positive energy. This time its personal!

10 days later and things are going as well as can be expected I guess. I have resisted falling into the trap of comfort foods I used to run for when I needed a break from stress in life. Tonight was dinner of roasted chicken with vegetables. A solid meal that will stay with me for several hours (into tomorrow). I have gotten back off the wheat I gravitated to out of sheer lack of willpower when I was with the family while caring for mom in her last days. In 10 days I'm down 4 pounds so that's a good thing that's happening right now. Picked up a copy of Dr. Davis' book, Wheat Belly, and have been reading it for insiration and its helping me stay the course off of wheat and gluten products. Caught myself preaching to the fat lady at work today about the evil grain, all while she shoveled pasta and tater tots into her pie hole. I guess I have not lost my touch!

I have embraced life more each day, cycling more, trail running, playing some golf with Dad and my brother. My brother and I did a lot of mountain biking together last weekend, what a great time.

Mom's memorial service is on Thursday so we are not completely done with the family stuff yet but I am strong and confident I can stay the course.

I got promoted at work last friday so things are really starting to look up at my day job. My side job has taken a hit since leaving to care for mom, but today I rekindled that fire too and hope to land a few new clients in the next couple of weeks.

Short entry tonight. Just don't feel like writing.

Cancer sucks people!
    Last edited by Karma; 10-03-2011 at 09:34 PM.

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member
    A tumultuous personal life can be the catalyst for change, speaking from my own personal experience. 2 years of a family filled with a crumbling marriage, heart attack, cancer scare, 3 cancers, 2 strokes, and 2 deaths. I may not have everything under control, but my health and fitness is what I'm starting with.

I sympathize with your loss. I am very sorry.
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you can take a bit of solace in the fact you were able to be with her during her illness and her death. I believe it helps the healing process.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast