Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have experience with tendonitis/arteritis/inflammation? page

TigerJ is offline Senior Member

Anyone have experience with tendonitis/arteritis/inflammation?

Primal Fuel
    My father, currently age 73, has a strange shoulder condition that was loosely diagnosed as tendonitis by one doctor. Basically he has some chronic pain that prevents him from doing things like playing golf, tennis and swimming for longer periods of time (all things he would like to do). He is fit in some other ways, though, as he very frequently walks for 5-7 miles. He is lean but doesn't have a lot of muscle mass. In terms of diet, he a lot of fruit, grains and sweets, with lower protein (i know).

I have been paleo since January 2010. He is raising a perhaps interested eyebrow at the Primal Blueprint but not yet enough to read the book. I think he may be at an age (and maybe generation) that just accepts what his doctor says. If a doctor told him to get off the sugar and wheat to see if that would improve his condition, he'd probably do it that very day. But since I am the only one to get him thinking about this, plus he just loves those desserts, I need a little back-up.

So my question for the forum is - does anyone have success with reductions of symptoms with tendonitis or other inflammatory condition? The reason I mentioned the arteritis (not arthritis) is that he suffered from that some years ago (this is inflammation of arteries near the temples). Again doctors said nothing about reducing his sugar intake although did get him on a high dose of Vit D. It seems to me that high grain, fruit and sugar diet = inflammation, in this case not resulting in obesity or diabetes because of his regular exercise, but something that easily could have caused damage in the form of the tendonitis and arteritis. However, I don't really have any studies or news articles to use as evidence to prove this.

Any success stories or other info would be appreciated.

bumping up - anyone?

avocado is offline Senior Member
    My experience with healing tendinitis came before primal. I had awful tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis). It hurt to lift a drinking glass or brush my hair or teeth. It was chronic for years.

I took up yoga. I think it allowed me to strengthen the muscles and tendons without repetitive motion (long holds in downward-facing dog, for example). I hardly ever have pain anymore and that really surprises me, as it was so chronic.

Nutrition may still have played some role. I took up yoga at the same time that I went on a CW healthy diet and lost 65 pounds. It wasn't primal but it was certainly loads healthier than I had been eating before.

I eventually started being more liberal with my fats (not that I was ever terribly low, as I was pursuing a wholefoods approach) and supplementing omega 3 and vitamin D (and this was still before I found primal). And they did me lots of good with my hair loss. But I had already resolved most of the tendinitis by the time I was really supplementing.

I also think the yoga helped with chronic pain I had in my hip and knee, and did a lot to make my ankles and feet stronger and more resilient. But it was the tennis elbow recovery that was kinda miraculous to me.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Tendonitis around my elbows. Only thing that has helped has been going to a guy that practices Active Release Therapy. Do a search and check it out. It's done wonders for me.

Thanks for both of your replies.

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Acupuncture worked well for tendonitis in my wrist. Years later, so did bee stings; an alternative-minded MD I know actually kept a hive of bees for stinging patients! He stung my wrist several times and it worked very well. The shoulder is a lot deeper, though, so it may not work as well.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    I believe ditching ALL grains,no matter how deeply entrenched your chosen lifestyle,can go some way to alleviating symptoms such as tendonitis and any other immflamatory problems.

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Excuse bad spelling (immfla. etc) just had a Saturday evening on my 20% allowable dark beer ration.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    I would highly recommend checking out Barry Sears' book, The Anti-Inflammation Zone:
    http://www.amazon.com/Anti-Inflammat...2443671&sr=8-1

He discusses high-dose fish oil as a necessary component in eliminating inflammatory conditions. The anti-inflammatory Zone diet that he recommends is quite similar to PB in many ways, differing in only a few aspects. Both The Zone and PB would recommend that your father eliminate grains & sugar, and go easy on the fruit.
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 08-21-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    I broke my ankle in '97 and suffered with pain and inflammation until this year. To give you an ideal, I OFTEN thought of having it amputated to relieve the pain. I completely eliminated gluten grains at the end of December and before the end of January the pain was completely gone. I lived for 13 years with chronic pain and simply eliminating gluten relieved the pain. I was already doing message therapy which had helped a little and I started doing barefoot exercises, but if I accidentally eat something containing gluten the pain comes back.
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast