Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamb Stew Meat? page

Lamb Stew Meat?

In preparation for starting PB, I went to the farmer's market on Saturday in pursuit of local organic/ grassfed/ free range etc, etc meat. After a few years of being semi-vegetarian, meat is still a bit intimidating for me, so I just pointed to a few things on the meat lady's menu that sounded good and she loaded my bag with about a month's worth of frozen protein (which cost way less than I was afraid it would). So...

The whole chicken was easy enough and will provide dinner for the first week, but next week I'm going to be a bit more exotic and go for the lamb stew meat. Any suggestions as to how to prepare it?

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    This is a good one from PBer Tara Tootie.

http://tarablogsabouteverything.blog...lamb-stew.html
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Lamb tomatillo stew
    1/2 head of garlic, peeled, minced
    2 lb lamb stew meat. chopped
    Bacon fat
    2 lb tomatillos, husked, cored and chopped
    4-6 small Turnips, peeled and chopped
    Black pepper and salt to taste
    Sautee garlic on bacon fat until fragrant. Brown the lamb in the bacon fat and garlic(or whatever oil is your preference.) Put meat, garlic, and fat in stockpot and add tomatillos and enough water to cover. Once the tomatillos are mostly dissolved, add the turnips. Cook until turnips are tender (similar to a potato), adjust seasoning, and serve. Garnish/ table addons? A spoon. MAYBE some crushed bacon. Seriously, it doesn't need anything.
    Last edited by naiadknight; 08-18-2010 at 12:47 PM. Reason: I keep forgetting that most people don't put garlic in everything.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    For lamb, I like Moroccan tastes, cumin, cinnamon, chili. This is a recipe from my blog for a chicken stew, which you can use lamb. It is suitable for crockpot, stove, or slow cooked in the oven: http://amoderngal.com/2010/01/11/moroccan-chicken-stew/

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Make chilli. I had lamb chilli for breakfast.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Thai Lamb Curry is a regular around here.

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    I use it for spicy lamb kabobs: (note that all measurements are approximate, I just dump)

1-2 TBSP cumin
    1/2 TBSP cayenne pepper
    1 TBSP garam masala
    1/2 TBSP tumeric
    sea salt
    whatever else in the sprice rack smells good

Dump spices in a zip lock bag, add enough olive oil to create a marinade (1/4 c or so, the spices should be wet, but not too runny). Put meat in bag and squish around to coat. Let sit in fridge until ready to cook (at least 4 hours).

Thread onto skewers and grill for several minutes on each side.

Or get lazy like I usually do and throw a handful into a frying pan with coconut oil and eat with a salad or eggs.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    I've found that meat labeled as stew meat is best cooked long and slow to avoid it being chewy. Simmer it in coconut milk for a few hours over low heat and it will be nice and tender.

Thanks for the ideas. I think I want to make some sort of actual meat and veggie stew with it in the crock pot, but that's about as far I've gotten. I don't want to go with Morrocan flavors this time, because I made Morrocan Chicken casserole last week and I'm feeling tumeric'd out. Maybe just do the traditional carrot/onion/celery and add peas and red peppers. How does one thicken their primal stew?

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like to use tomato paste to thicken stews into a nice tasty tomato sauce type thang

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast