Thread: College Student's Grocery List? page

livewire516 is offline Junior Member

Question College Student's Grocery List?

Primal Fuel
    I'm heading back up to Penn State University soon, and I wondering what I should buy here (Philly area) in bulk now and what my grocery list should look like there. I'm going to be on a pretty tight budget, and since I'm living with three other people, each with varying diets, fridge and freezer space will be at a premium. I have a few ideas already but I'd like to hear yours!
    Last edited by livewire516; 08-18-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: grammar

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Can you get your hands on a chest freezer and scare up some space for it? That would help, and it pays itself back in spades.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Even though it may pay for itself, I still can't currently afford it.
    I'm thinking I'd get most of my meat from canned fish and the occasion *gulp* conventional thrift cut and trim the fat.
    Fresh eggs.
    In terms of veggies I'm thinking mostly frozen bags (stir fry mix ftw), and what ever fresh veggies I can get in season.
    And as for fruit I'm thinking of freezing some berries now.
    And as for snacks I'm thinking of buying nuts bulk.

I may have answered my own question but I'd still like to hear any ideas out there!

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    CostCo often sells small chest freezers. We bought one and it fits nicely in our coat closet and is still low enough to hang the coats above it. Buy bulk, split everything up into individual portions and freeze it all. Roommates lazy enough to take your food are usually too lazy to wait for it to thaw and cook it.
    Find a farmer's market in the area and eat seasonal produce. Much cheaper and fresher than imported veg. Stock up on spices and herbs so that you have things on hand whenever you need them.
    Start a group on campus interested in being primal and go shopping together to get the bulk prices. Or you can have a weekly primal dinner with where each person makes one large primal dish to bring and you all get to take home some of each dish.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Buy the cheapest, toughest cut of meat and throw it in the pressure cooker or crockpot. Use offal meat (heart's like $2/ lb out here.) Use frozen veggies and the cheapie veggies. Don't worry so much about the conventional meats, just take fish oil. Make a BAS your go to meal, greens are cheap. Use canned meats, ask around and see if anyone up there hunts and would be willing to bag you whatever if you pay for processing. Eggs are dirt cheap. So is lard. Make your own stocks from bones leftover. Use the crock pot and pressure cooker, they are your new best friends.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

mikeha is offline Junior Member
    Fat trimming not allowed here! Seriously, it's precious, esp if it's grassfed. I would just go with ground beef, eggs, and some type of fat (coconut oil or butter). That's actually what I do go for, and I'm never hungry. You can throw in whole chickens, frozen bags of veg, but I would go without the nuts and fruit (u can be completely healthy w/o them).

In conventional, hormone pumped and antibiotic laden meat, most of those environmental toxins are stored in the fat. In the case of conventional meat, I plan on getting the leanest cuts and trimming visible fat for that very reason.

Grassfed, organic is entirely I different story but I don't know how available it will be.