Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (katsuzharris) page

katsuzharris Guest

Primal Fuel

I'm just starting this journal tonight on day 4 of the challenge. I have a blog at katsuzharris.blogspot.com/ and I thought I'd update my progress there, but i haven't, so i thought I'd try it here.

Things have been going really well! I feel good and balanced as far as eating and blood sugar. who knew all those carbs were throwing me off?

My husband and I are doing it together and we loved the primal energy bars we made and love cooking with coconut oil.

I just had my cholesterol and vit D drawn yesterday and am curious to see the results and any changes next year after a year of being primal.

I also found out results from an MRI yesterday and I have a small herniated disk in my back. I've been having sciata pain for a few weeks. I don't know where it is in my back; I have an appt soon, but anyway I am feeling extra motivated about diet and exercise to improve my life and decrease inflammation and keep me going strong.

(I'm 38 with two girls 7 and 3)

oh and I also lost 4 pounds since I started the challenge! (I must admit to having been the weight watchers Aunt Sally eating her weight watchers snack bars and Diet dr pepper all for health (I thought I'd just use those tricks to lose the 20 pounds I needed to lose but I lost 10 and then plateued for a year and kept eating all that processed crap. Uggh.) Glad to be going primal.

katsuzharris Guest

I worked my 3p-12a shift as a labor and delivery nurse last night (the first time since i started the challenge) and it was difficult not to eat the snacks left out on the table or treat myself to something from the new vending machine (I have a serious problem with Coca cola at 9pm at night when I got tired and bored.) I stuck it out, though and felt better for it and realized while I brought plenty of healthy snacks to work; I've also got to bring some dark chocolate to indulge in when everyone else is eating scones.

I also saw again how I eat when I'm lonely, bored or in pain (my back was hurting) Last month when my 14.5 year old dear dog died (carrying her up and down the stairs that last month is what hurt my back)

I ate and ate, gaining 5 pounds in two weeks! That's no good. So I', trying to be more aware of how I sabotage myself and indulge in foods that numb the pain slightly (maybe by making me feel physically worse and distracting me from emotional pain?)

katsuzharris Guest

me again.

I resisted serious temptation this afternoon at the great summer restaurant we went to with ice cream and soda and other naughty things.

When I resisted I thought "Now is my time to get healthy!" which was better than a "don't you dare, you want to be fat? To which I usually answer to myselt in my head, "Don't talk to me like that!" as I eat the treat"

So that's an improvement!

I also am poting what I eat today on fitday to get a general idea of macronutrients...

katsuzharris Guest

Fitday is amazing!! Part of why I stayed with weight watchers so long (1.5 years) is because I enjoyed their website, but Fitday is even better and it's free!!

katsuzharris Guest

OK I've been posting on Fitday and neglecting here. I think the site is really helpful and I motivated to use it for a while. I resisted ice cream today, but 2 evenings ago I had 1.5 pieces of chocolate torte and red wine. I figured it was my occasional high fat indulgence. Oh my! I felt drunk and out of it for 3-4 hours and passed out in bed. Was it the sugar? The caffeine? It made me more careful. I have to get going on the workouts. I did some sprinting and weights last week, but I've got to do something tomorrow. It is hard for me to fit in the long workouts although I would love to do them. I guess that's my next goal!

katsuzharris Guest

I lost 3 pounds this week! I haven't been hungry much at all; it's been crazy. I have been making energy bars, meats, enjoying jerkys, eating trail mix, eggs in butter, fruit (fresh peaches from my own tree!) Kale and veggies from our CSA. It's been wonderful and not as difficult as I feared. I haven't been craving bread or sweets as much as I thought I would. I do undulge in dark choclate when the craving hits and I still have ice coffee once a day.

Now it's time to ramp up the workouts. My back is sore and I don;t know where to start. I'm going to finish reading the book (that should help!) and read the post tonight. My husband and I did some trail work last night at a neglected forest trail where we can bike, hike, jog and life heavy things in the woods near our house; it was slow going with the kids, but exciting!

katsuzharris Guest

Yesterday I fought the torpor and went on a ten minute bike ride (my first this year!) then 30 minute hike in the place we cleared and then three ten second sprints. Fun! Maybe I should have spaced things out better, but I had childcare and my husband was biking on the same trail.

My cholesterol results came back and my number is 202. I think that's pretty high for a 38 year old woman. I am hoping it is better after a year on primal. I had some ice cream (maple walnut) at the creamie partly because I didn't want to deal with all the questions from frineds and family if I didn't get one, so I bought one. It was tasty but a little sweet. I was scared I'd fall totally off the wagon, but I was reassured by the 80/20 and didn't let myself get sidetracked. I got way too hungry this afternoon and I felt I had to really overeat to catch up. I hadn't planned really well and we didn't have much food in the house. I bought a pint of blueberries and ate most of it. Makes me think I have to notice when I'm hungry and eat more jerky!

katsuzharris Guest

Thursday I weighed in a weight watchers and had gained a pound and a half. I was bummed. It was day 2 of my period so maybe that's why. Also, I've been pretty good eating primally but the working out has been tricky. I'm worried about hurting my already sore herniated-disk back and so lifting heavy things makes me nervous. The two young kids are my excuse for not doing lots of long workouts. They walk at a snails pace and squawk in the stroller to get out, but as I hear myself make excuses I realize I just have to do it. School starts for them soon, so I may have a bit more time and structure to the week.

Yesterday, Rob got a baguette sandwich and I had half and then I had an ice cream cone again at the creamie. I was disappointed that it thunderstormed and poured when we got to the lake where I was going to work out. Rob was going to play with the girls and I was going to do leisurely laps and then some sprinting on the sand. Instead, we stood shivering in the rain until the lightening scared us away. I felt thwarted and disappointed and my instinct was to indulge in a sweet thing. Interesting. I would bet I do that alot.

katsuzharris Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

One month! I've been on the primal blueprint for a month. It feels good and I think I'll be able to maintain it indefinitely. My blood sugar and general energy level feels much more steady. The food is easy to come by and I can always have nuts and seeds as snacks. I just started missing bread this week and I had a large ice cream the other day. Eating it made me feel yucky for a while and I caught a cold yesterday which bummed me out. I'm not sure if it was because I downed so much ice cream or if it's just the change of seasons. I am still having trouble working out. I love the idea of the long walks and hikes and I have been doing a few sprints in my vibram five fingers. I go to a doctor for my herniated disk on Friday so I can come up with a strengthening plan. The kid's school starts this week and I think I'll be able to carve out a bit more time. I think that will help kick up the weight loss, too. I got a compliment at a party last night! Someone said I looked great. I was excited to wear some clothes I bought last year but haven't been able to wear, yet I wore my size 14 jeans yesterday and they were too big! So today I wore my size 12 jeans. I took photos a month ago and today I compared them with photos from today. It was difficult to see a change. it wasn't as dramatic as I hoped it would be, hopefully next month will really start to make a difference! I have been surprised how long it takes to lose weight even when one is eating well. It's so much easier to gain than lose!!