Thread: Hi! Primal in the Military page

Pheurton is offline Junior Member

Hi! Primal in the Military

Shop Now
    So, Hi! I'm active-duty US Air Force, currently living in Germany. My primal conversion goes like this: I went to PT one day shortly after arriving at my unit here, and noticed a Lieutenant wearing Vibrams. I verbally scolded him on his choice of awkward looking footwear, and then he scolded me right back for my Nike Shox, and told me why they were giving me back problems. Short and sweet, I was overweight (not obese) and unhealthy, and he showed me the light of day. He emailed me Mark's "difinitive guide to grains" article, and I was hooked. I've been primal (80-20) for about 3 months now, and loving it. Aside from that, I have a lovely wife, 2 awesome kids and a run-of-the-mill desk job.

Your location: Kaiserslautern, Germany

Age (If you want): 30

How Primal are you: 80-20

Do you consume dairy: Yes, but very limited. No milk...a little bit of cheese to omelettes and eat it out of the package as a snack sometimes...that's about it.

Do you drink coffee or tea: Nope. Neither.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Because I felt fat and unhealthy.

Favorite exercise: Bear crawls...so tiring, but really a lot of fun. I think there's a sense of really being a carnivorous four-legged creature in there that makes me like it.

Favorite Primal food: Meat...lots of meat. My personal favorite is a simple, fire-grilled grass-fed sirloin. Bison steaks are nice, too.

Best part about being Primal: The realization of conventional wisdom! What an idiot, I was!

Worst part about being Primal: The dirty looks from people at work that offer me cakes and donuts when I don't accept them. And the speeches about whole grains I hear from the military "health professionals".

shannon is offline Senior Member
    welcome! don't worry 'bout the comments people make, you're doing great;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

XYZ
    XYZ is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Just wait until you try this on a deployment.

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    Welcome! Just wait until you try this on a deployment.
    See, I've heard people say that...some says its easy, others say it sucks. Got any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by shannon View Post
    welcome! don't worry 'bout the comments people make, you're doing great;-)
    Thanks! Yea, I'm slowly growing accustomed to the rolling of eyes when I start to talk about grains...tsk tsk tsk.

XYZ
    XYZ is offline Senior Member
    Be flexible. Take plenty of good quality fish oil with you to offset everything being cooked in vegetable oils. Don't be afraid to ask for the meat dishes without the sauces. And get used to a lot of meals of hamburger patties.

Breakfast is the easiest meal to deal with. I just ask the cook to scrape the oil off the grill before they cook my eggs.