Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Blueprint Pregnancy Journal - AustinMama page 2

austinmama is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just finished a LHT workout. I was planning on doing it tomorrow, but felt inspired tonight.

40 wall push-ups
    10 knee push-ups (might've done more if I'd given myself more recovery time after the wall push-ups)
    10 chair-assisted 2-leg pull-ups
    50 bench squats
    20 elevated jackknife presses
    10 regular jackknife presses
    90 seconds hand/knee plank
    45 secs/side hand/knee side planks
    20 forward-leaning lunges (my addition to Mark's essential 5 movements--not sure this is essential but it targets my butt, so I'm doing it until I have reason not to)

I missed my usual morning walk because I'm now watching my neighbor's 20-month-old on Tues/Thurs mornings. Felt stir-crazy enough to go out in the 100+ degree heat for a short afternoon walk my 1-year-old to the park playground for a swing/slide/play around and eat the gravel session. Does that count as play?

I haven't been keeping track, but I feel like I've been overeating for the past few days, even without carbs. I've also been indulging in dark chocolate (70%+) on a daily basis, which I think is a bit much. Oh well.

This morning I ate a little lightly just because I didn't have time to eat more, what with getting up late then watching the girls. I don't know how I'm going to find the time to plan or eat properly with 2 kids in the house come February. I guess I'll adapt.

TAWFUNGUY is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! Great job!

Thanks TFG! Nice new pic, btw.

Thumbs up

Nothing much new this week, so I haven't been posting as much. Here are a couple of highlights:

- I went to the Myopractor (like a chiropractor, but a bit more involved, especially with ligaments and muscles) I've seen a handful of times for help with my sciatica-related back and leg pain. It has been months since my last visit and I only went because I felt my left knee go out of joint and stay that way after doing what was apparently too deep a "pigeon" pose in Prenatal Yoga. I had tried gentle range-of-motion exercises to pop it back into place, and although that helped a little, it still seemed a little off. He fixed it easily, and also popped my collarbone back into place (it's always out.)

He commented on how much weight I'd lost since my last visit. I haven't really lost that much, maybe 10-15 pounds, but it looks more dramatic than usual. So that was nice. He also commented that my overall alignment was much, much better this time. Hooray!

- Today was my regular 6-month dental checkup. I got kudos for good dental hygiene, and they were cool about letting me skip x-rays and fluoride due to my current pregnancy. Interestingly, when I said I wanted to skip the fluoride, the very nice dental assistant who was working on me said in a low voice, "you know, you don't really need it anyway." She went on to explain that we already have fluoridated water and toothpaste, which is of questionable benefit given that tooth decay hasn't shown a decrease since the advent of fluoridation. She also mentioned having read about a link between excessive fluoride use and thyroid problems. Then the actual dentist came in, looked at my prior x-rays, poked around in my mouth a bit and advised me to watch for one spot in my lower gums where the tooth is a bit decalcified, which she called "insidious decay". She asked me to be sure and floss that area well (no problem), and use a fluoride mouth wash and toothpaste. Nice.

- My weight's back up in the low-to-mid 170s range, but seems to be staying there for now. I'm not concerned. This is the very beginning of my second trimester and I would expect to start slowly gaining weight soon. If I only gain 20 lbs with this pregnancy, I think the baby will be perfectly fine. I'm sure my body won't miss the extra weight, either.

Other than a few more bouts of allergies and sinus pain, I've been feeling good and energetic lately. This week has been more demanding than usual in that I ended up babysitting 3 days in a row, but I was able to take it all in stride, even after a crappy night's sleep Wednesday.

There have been a few minor slip-ups, where I ate some of my daughter's Cheerios (gonna get that all out of the house for good soon) and a few Goldfish crackers my neighbor's daughter wanted to share with me. I also had sugared dried cranberries in a salad last night. Other than that, I've been quite faithful to the PB way of eating.

I'm enjoying following other people's stories in the Forum and starting to get to know some of you. No shortage of inspiration here!

Okay, so I have this recurring allergy problem that usually leads to a sinus infections after a few rounds. I'm in the throes of one of those nasty buggers now.

Being preggers, I am even more reluctant than usual to medicate, but I've had to resort to using Afrin nasal spray and even took one Benadryl to help clear my nose up enough so that I can sleep tonight. Antibiotics are a very last resort for me, as I know too much about the negative effects, and my body in particular doesn't take well to them.

I'm doing round after round of breathing in steam from my decaf green tea cup. I'm propping myself up on a ramp of pillows to let gravity help drain my sinuses overnight. Monday, I'll schedule an acupuncture appointment at AOMA (Austin Oriental Medicine Academy). In 2006, I had pretty bad allergies and acupuncture did seem to clear things up in the midst of a particularly bad bout.

If you have any tips for clearing up a sinus infection without antibiotics, I'd love to hear them. I think chicken soup will have to make it onto tomorrow's menu.

Ugh.

Sunday's weight/measurements (first thing in the morning, next to naked, empty stomach):

172.5 lbs
    40.5" bust (This is actually growing--one of the perks of pregnancy!)
    31" waist (Measured at narrowest oblique indentation, slightly flexed)
    38" belly (It's gonna keep growing--thought it would be fun to track)
    42.5" hips (Sweet! Lost half an inch in a couple of weeks or less. This is my trouble spot.)
    12" upper arms (I wish I had a "before" measurement for this. I'm guessing I've lost about an inch over the past four months or so.)

My physique is subtly changing from more pear to more hourglass. Of course, the preggo belly will really take over soon, but that's perfectly fine.

Allergies (I guess) are still killing me. I made an acupuncture appointment for Wednesday afternoon. It has helped before. The hubs is going to pick up some plain saline mist when he goes to the grocery store for me tonight. (Great guy!)

Made it through a family visit yesterday, and I think I did pretty well. It helped that we stopped along the way to my parents' house to get beef jerky and raisins to snack on.

They had:

Antibiotic/hormone-free 91/9 beef burgers on whole wheat buns
    Sour cream & onion potato chips
    Lettuce, tomato, mustard, red onion
    Coke Zero
    Homemade bread pudding with brandy creme sauce for dessert (I had to excuse myself to give my daughter a bottle during this one. Too tempting!)

I had:

A plain burger with mustard
    Extra lettuce & tomato (can't do raw onion)
    Decaf iced tea (unsweetened)
    Raisins for dessert

I probably had more raisins than a Primal one should, but I considered the visit a successful one.

It has been 2-1/2 weeks, almost 3 weeks, since I started eating (and to an extent, exercising) primally. I love the way my body looks right now but I'm hoping and praying to feel better soon. I'm fatigued and these allergies are just the pits.

Megs is offline Junior Member
    Hey AustinMama! Thanks for the welcome on my journal! Sounds like you've got the Austin allergies. Thankfully (knock on wood) that hasn't happened to me yet. If you're ever in the mood to take a walk around town lake (I'm mentally unprepared to call it Lady Bird Lake) - let me know! It'd be amusing to have a partner. --Megs (also in Austin)

Confession time: I've cheated a little: I had organic breakfast tacos in flour tortillas yesterday. I had a couple of bottled Arizona teas over the past week, which I knew had sugar cane syrup in them. I didn't realize until yesterday, in horror that they also have HFCS in them. Should have read that label!

I've had a bite or two of pita chips and tortilla chips here and there, but really only a bite or two. Not the 4 handfuls I used to have.

My weight dropped to 170.5, which got me a little nervous, and our fridge and pantry are running low on PB foods. I think this added to the unwise indulgences.

The worst was yakisoba noodles at Fujiyama Steakhouse. The sad part is that I wanted the hibachi grill, but thought it was too expensive for our budget. My husband got the hibachi. I ate some of his, and my yakisoba was very disappointing by comparison. It also gave me my first experience with post-carb bloat that I hear about so much on PB. It was that uncomfortably full feeling. We both had it (my husband's was courtesy of the side of fried rice that came with his hibachi), so we went for a family walk when we got home. The walk did help alleviate the bloat quickly, and we got to stop and feed the ducks at the Quarry (using up that bread we're not eating any more!)

I've slacked off on LHT and even walks, to an extent, mostly because of this sinus infection that is almost gone now, and without antibiotics, thankfully.

My husband is reading the Primal Blueprint and getting more serious about following it. This is great, because it makes it that much easier for me to follow it and grocery shop. We went to the Lakeline (formerly Cedar Park) Farmers' Market yesterday and bought a bunch of meat, milk and cheese. The weather was beautiful--first fall-like morning this year--and it was just plain fun shopping there. Talking to the producers was educational. For instance, I found out that dairy farmers in Texas can't legally sell raw milk at markets, but can sell yogurt and cheese made with raw milk. We bought some low-temp pasteurized (140 degrees) whole unhomogenized milk. I'm looking forward to trying it.

While cravings are popping up more these days, I find myself almost automatically talking myself out of them. Except in the above-mentioned indulgences, that is. For example, yesterday when I was taking the car to the car wash I realized I was super hungry, breakfast had been hours ago, and Schlotzsky's would have been very convenient. I drooled over the idea of scarfing an Original sandwich. Until I realized it was fast food and loaded with bad carbs, unhealthy fats, nitrates and God knows what else. So I talked myself out of it and had a delicious salad with feta and farmer's market bacon at home.

OneHotMama is offline Member
    Hi AustinMama! I am enjoying reading your journal so far and look forward to following your pregnancy.

I think it's awesome you are making better food choices and talking yourself out of cheats. I am finding the same to be true for me as well, and it's been very exciting for me.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city
    I just wanted to stop by and say that I love how you described going from a "pear to an hourglass." That's the sweet spot of pregnancy, isn't it?! Right before you get the bowling ball look!

And I can totally *feel* the win that was NOT eating that sandwich. It's the little moments like that that are tough but that feel so good. I still have my junky vices, but for the most part primal food is way better than the other junk. I just have to remember that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast